Great news – someone you know is tying the knot! But before you rush out to buy a new hat or choose a snazzy wedding outfit, spare a moment to send them some truly memorable engagement wishes. Deciding what to write in an engagement card can be a little tricky, with playful or funny engagement messages resonating more with some recipients than others.
If you’re struggling for what to say in an engagement card, have a read through the following suggestions – there should be some ideas in there that will inspire you to get writing! You’ll want to spoil them with a present to celebrate with, too, and we have a great selection of engagement gifts for you to send their way. We’ve got you covered on the engagement front…
Funny engagement wishes
Wishing a couple a simple “congratulations” doesn’t have to be strictly serious. If your mates or family members are celebrating their engagement, but they love a pun or two, you can get creative with what to write in an engagement card, that’s for sure. Our range of funny engagement cards will be a real hit, too, so check them out and find your perfect design.
Here are some of our well-thought-out funny engagement messages to pen down in your card to the loved up duo:
- Remember the days when you could laugh at each other’s poor choices? Well, now you’re one of ‘em!
- Always thought you’d end up a crazy cat lady, to be honest. Never mind!
- Congrats you guys! My Instagram account manager will be in touch with your wedding planner to make sure the lighting on the day meets my requirements.
- I know Beyonce said if you like it then you should have put a ring on it, but she also said I don’t think you’re ready for this jelly so just be careful what you serve as dessert at the wedding.
- Absolutely stunned that you both found someone to marry. There’s hope for us all!
- My deepest condolences to your fiancé.
- A third of all marriages fail. But I’m sure you guys will be just fine…
- They say marriage is like a public toilet: if you’re outside it you want to get in, but once you’re in it, you can’t wait to get out!
- Think of your wedding as a gigantic fairground ring toss where the prize is each other!
- If you guys discover the secret of a happy marriage, could you please let the rest of the world know?!
Playful engagement wishes
If you know the couple inside out, you’ll know whether or not they’d appreciate a playful message or two for their engagement. And if they do love a good pun, you can get creative with what you want to say to the two love birds. To match your message, take a look at our wide range of cheeky engagement card designs and find your favourite.
Here are some fun messages to include in your card:
- Congratulations on your first engagement!
- You weirdos are perfect for each other.
- You found someone who wants to marry you! Amazing!
- ‘Til death do you part, and all that nonsense!
- So excited you’re getting married! Can’t wait to get involved in all your family drama.
- Remember, marriage won’t work if one of you is happy and the other is miserable. Make sure you remain equally miserable and it’ll be fine!
- Are we to assume this is due to a surprise pregnancy?
- Better start drinking now, it only gets worse from here!
- So you’re getting married! Here’s wishing you all of the changes in each other that you’re hoping for.
- It’s beautiful to see you two agreeing to stand by each other through all the trouble you could have avoided by staying single.
Witty engagement wishes
If you’re hoping to squeeze a witty message in your friend (or family)’s card for their exciting engagement, you can do just that. And if you’re wondering what to write in an engagement card that’s a little quirkier and slapstick, then don’t worry; we’ve thought of each and every engagement message!
Take note of these witty engagement wishes and incorporate one into your card, which you can find from our naughty engagement card range:
- Glad to hear you’re not planning on dying alone!
- Same partner forever, eh? Good luck with that!
- Here are some useful tools to help you in your marriage: “Yes dear”, “I’m sorry”, and “it’s my fault”.
- It all started with two hearts and a diamond! But give it a few years, you’ll wish you had a club and a spade.
- Congratulations on finding that one special person to annoy for the rest of your life!
- This whole thing is a prank, right? There’s no way anyone’s marrying you.
- Make me a bridesmaid or I’m telling them about what happened in the high school chemistry lab.
- I want a seat at the top table or the holiday photos are coming with me to the wedding. You know the ones I mean.
- Nothing warms my heart like seeing two people agree to carry each other’s emotional baggage for the rest of their lives.
- Marriage is all about the rings: the engagement ring, then the wedding ring, then the suffering!
Simple engagement wishes
Engagement wishes don’t always have to be paragraphs long, they can be short and simple. The couple you’re sending your good wishes to might prefer a snappy message, and we have some great ideas for you to pen down in your card. And you can pop these engagement messages in one of our traditional engagement cards, so make sure you peruse our remarkable range.
Here are some simple yet effective messages to write down:
- Wishing you every happiness as you look forward to being married.
- May you find everlasting happiness in each other.
- Warmest congratulations on your engagement.
- Here’s to endless love, happiness, and adventure!
- Enjoy making a beautiful life together!
- Very best wishes for a long and happy life together.
- Here’s to love and happiness!
- Wishing you joy, good health, and happiness in your engagement.
- Two hearts, one soul.
- To a wonderful couple, happy engagement.
Caring engagement wishes
When your loved ones have gotten engaged, you’ll want to send caring engagement wishes their way – especially if they’re into that kind of thing. But, what can you write to really express how happy you are for the two of them? We’ve thought of some kind and caring engagement wishes for you to pinch, and you can browse through our cute engagement cards to pen these messages in.
Scroll one of these messages in your chosen card and pop it in the post:
- Hoping you bring as much happiness to each other as you have brought to my life!
- Happy engagement! It’s a privilege to be able to celebrate your love for each other.
- After the whirlwind romance comes an eternal love story. Congratulations on your engagement!
- As you get ready to grow old together, I know the best is yet to come.
- Congratulations! Have a wonderful engagement as you prepare for what will be a beautiful marriage.
- The two of you together paint a beautiful picture of what love really means.
- Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes a special person to capture your heart. Happy engagement!
- Here’s hoping your love shines brighter with each passing day.
- Congratulations on your engagement, and please know I’m here for you as you start this new chapter of your life together.
- May your love for each other fill you with as much joy as you bring to everyone you know.
Engagement messages to a family member
If someone in your family has gotten engaged, of course, you’re going to be absolutely thrilled. Because not only does this bring happiness to your whole family, but it also (selfishly) guarantees you a spot at the wedding.
Whether it’s your sister who’s said “yes” to the proposal, your brother has popped the question to his partner, or your mum and dad are finally getting hitched, we’ve got some perfect family engagement wishes for you to take inspiration from. And browse our full range of family engagement cards to write your sentimental message in!
Here are our favourite messages for family members:
- You’re getting married! Congrats little bro, you guys are going to be so happy together and I can’t wait to cheer you on at the wedding.
- Yay, you’re getting married. I can’t wait for the wedding, and thanks for having it now we’re grown up, mum and dad, because we can actually celebrate with you instead of looking at boring old photo albums…
- Amazing news – congratulations on your engagement, sis. You must be absolutely over the moon (and so are we). Love you.
- Son, I can’t believe the day has arrived – you’re engaged. We’re so happy for you both. Sending all of our love, best wishes (and presents, don’t worry)!
- We heard through the grapevine that someone proposed…welcome to the family!
- Bridesmaid duties are in order big sis, congrats on your engagement. You’re going to have a KILLER wedding, I’m sure of it.
- Wow, my little daughter is growing up so fast. We’re absolutely gushing with happiness, happy engagement to you both.
- The two of you are going to be so happy together. Congratulations – it’s a miracle you’ve put up with my brother’s humour for this long to be honest…
If you’re a little stuck on things to write in an engagement card, how about adding a loving quote into the mix? Celebrities, authors and poets have said some insightful things about engagements in their time, and you might as well take advantage of their wise words, right? You can pair one of these messages with one of our quirky quote engagement cards, just browse our varied selection and get inspired!
And here are some of the best engagement wishes, quoted from some of the greats:
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” — Audrey Hepburn
- “Where there is love there is life.” — Mahatma Gandhi
- “Engagement marks the end of a whirlwind romance and beginning of an eternal love story.” — Rajeev Ranjan
- “True love stories never have endings.” — Richard Bach
- “To love and to be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.” — David Viscott
- “Remember tonight, for it is the beginning of always.” — Dante Alighieri
- “Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads, which sew people together through the years.” — Simone Signoret
- “The secret of a happy marriage remains… a secret.” — Henny Youngman
Still wondering what to write in an engagement card? Well, you can always add engagement sayings to your card, to really mark the occasion and show the loved-up pair how much they mean to each other (and you). Just add one of these sentimental sayings to your card and send it their way. We have a whole host of contemporary engagement cards for you to peruse, so check them out for more inspiration.
Just choose your favourite saying from our list below:
- “Your love story has just begun, and long may it continue.”
- “Two souls, one heart.”
- “Newlyweds to be are as happy as can be.”
- “This is the time for you both to flourish”
- “Keeping the love alive since the 2000’s.”
- “Marriage is such an exciting prospect, and one you can enjoy together – as one.”
Need some more inspiration on things to write in a greeting card? Head on over to our blog to find posts on the likes of what to write in a wedding card, when the big day has been finalised. And discover other handy blogs on engagement gift ideas and how to plan the perfect engagement party.