Great news – someone you know is tying the knot! But before you rush out to buy a new hat or choose a snazzy wedding outfit, spare a moment to send them some truly memorable engagement wishes. Deciding what to write in an engagement card can be a little tricky, with playful or funny engagement messages resonating more with some recipients than others.
If you’re struggling for what to say in an engagement card, have a read through the following suggestions – there should be some ideas in there that will inspire you to get writing! You’ll want to spoil them with a present to celebrate with, too, and we have a great selection of engagement gifts for you to send their way. We’ve got you covered on the engagement front.
Before we get started though, you’ll obviously need a card to write your engagement wishes in! Well, we’ve got you covered there too and have a whole collection of engagement cards to choose from. Take a look at a few examples of what we’ve got on offer below:
Funny engagement wishes
Wishing a couple a simple “congratulations” doesn’t have to be strictly serious. If your mates or family members are celebrating their engagement, but they love a pun or two, you can get creative with what to write in an engagement card, that’s for sure.
Here are some of our well-thought-out funny engagement messages to pen down in your card to the loved-up duo:
- Remember the days when you could laugh at each other’s poor choices? Well, now you’re one of ‘em!
- Always thought you’d end up a crazy cat lady, to be honest. Never mind!
- Congrats you guys! My Instagram account manager will be in touch with your wedding planner to make sure the lighting on the day meets my requirements.
- I know Beyonce said if you like it then you should have put a ring on it, but she also said I don’t think you’re ready for this jelly so just be careful what you serve as dessert at the wedding.
- Absolutely stunned that you both found someone to marry. There’s hope for us all!
- My deepest condolences to your fiancé.
- A third of all marriages fail. But I’m sure you guys will be just fine…
- They say marriage is like a public toilet: if you’re outside it you want to get in, but once you’re in it, you can’t wait to get out!
- Think of your wedding as a gigantic fairground ring toss where the prize is each other!
- If you guys discover the secret of a happy marriage, could you please let the rest of the world know?!
Playful engagement wishes for friends
If you know the couple inside out, you’ll know whether or not they’d appreciate a cheeky message or two for their engagement. And if they do love a good pun, you can get creative with what you want to say to the two love birds.
Here are some of our playful engagement wishes for a friend to include in your card:
- Congratulations on your first engagement!
- You weirdos are perfect for each other.
- You found someone who wants to marry you! Amazing!
- ‘Til death do you part, and all that nonsense!
- So excited you’re getting married! Can’t wait to get involved in all your family drama.
- Remember, marriage won’t work if one of you is happy and the other is miserable. Make sure you remain equally miserable and it’ll be fine!
- Are we to assume this is due to a surprise pregnancy?
- Better start drinking now, it only gets worse from here!
- So you’re getting married! Here’s wishing you all of the changes in each other that you’re hoping for.
- It’s beautiful to see you two agreeing to stand by each other through all the trouble you could have avoided by staying single.
Witty engagement words for card
If you’re hoping to squeeze a witty message in your friend (or family)’s card for their exciting engagement, you can do just that. And if you’re wondering what to write in an engagement card that’s a little quirkier and slapstick, then don’t worry; we’ve thought of each and every engagement message!
- Glad to hear you’re not planning on dying alone!
- Same partner forever, eh? Good luck with that!
- Here are some useful tools to help you in your marriage: “Yes dear”, “I’m sorry”, and “it’s my fault”.
- It all started with two hearts and a diamond! But give it a few years, you’ll wish you had a club and a spade.
- Congratulations on finding that one special person to annoy for the rest of your life!
- This whole thing is a prank, right? There’s no way anyone’s marrying you.
- Make me a bridesmaid or I’m telling them about what happened in the high school chemistry lab.
- I want a seat at the top table or the holiday photos are coming with me to the wedding. You know the ones I mean.
- Nothing warms my heart like seeing two people agree to carry each other’s emotional baggage for the rest of their lives.
- Marriage is all about the rings: the engagement ring, then the wedding ring, then the suffering!
Short engagement wishes
Engagement wishes don’t always have to be paragraphs long, they can be short and simple. The couple you’re sending your good wishes to might prefer a snappy message, and we have some great ideas for you to pen down in your card.
Here are some effective yet short engagement messages to write down:
- Wishing you every happiness as you look forward to being married.
- May you find everlasting happiness in each other.
- Warmest congratulations on your engagement.
- Here’s to endless love, happiness, and adventure!
- Enjoy making a beautiful life together!
- Very best wishes for a long and happy life together.
- Here’s to love and happiness!
- Wishing you joy, good health, and happiness in your engagement.
- Two hearts, one soul.
- To a wonderful couple, happy engagement.
Caring engagement words for card
When your loved ones have gotten engaged, you’ll want to send caring engagement wishes their way – especially if they’re into that kind of thing. But, what can you write to express how happy you are for the two of them?
Well, we’ve thought of some kind and caring engagement words for a card that you can pinch:
- Hoping you bring as much happiness to each other as you have brought to my life!
- Happy engagement! It’s a privilege to be able to celebrate your love for each other.
- After the whirlwind romance comes an eternal love story. Congratulations on your engagement!
- As you get ready to grow old together, I know the best is yet to come.
- Congratulations! Have a wonderful engagement as you prepare for what will be a beautiful marriage.
- The two of you together paint a beautiful picture of what love really means.
- Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes a special person to capture your heart. Happy engagement!
- Here’s hoping your love shines brighter with each passing day.
- Congratulations on your engagement, and please know I’m here for you as you start this new chapter of your life together.
- May your love for each other fill you with as much joy as you bring to everyone you know.
Engagement messages to a family member
If someone in your family has gotten engaged, of course, you’re going to be absolutely thrilled. Because not only does this bring happiness to your whole family, but it also (selfishly) guarantees you a spot at the wedding.
Whether it’s your sister who’s said “yes” to the proposal, your brother has popped the question to his partner, or your mum and dad are finally getting hitched, we’ve got some perfect family engagement wishes for you to take inspiration from.
Here are our favourite messages for family members:
- You’re getting married! Congrats little bro, you guys are going to be so happy together and I can’t wait to cheer you on at the wedding.
- Yay, you’re getting married. I can’t wait for the wedding, and thanks for having it now we’re grown up, mum and dad, because we can actually celebrate with you instead of looking at boring old photo albums…
- Amazing news – congratulations on your engagement, sis. You must be absolutely over the moon (and so are we). Love you.
- Son, I can’t believe the day has arrived – you’re engaged. We’re so happy for you both. Sending all of our love, best wishes (and presents, don’t worry)!
- We heard through the grapevine that someone proposed…welcome to the family!
- Bridesmaid duties are in order big sis, congrats on your engagement. You’re going to have a KILLER wedding, I’m sure of it.
- Wow, my little daughter is growing up so fast. We’re absolutely gushing with happiness, happy engagement to you both.
- The two of you are going to be so happy together. Congratulations – it’s a miracle you’ve put up with my brother’s humour for this long to be honest…
- [INSERT BRIDE & GROOM’S NAMES], it’s been so lovely to watch you throughout your relationship and we’re truly so happy for you both!
- Happy engagement! This is the best news and we’re excited to officially welcome [INSERT NAME] to the family, although you’ve basically been part of it since day one anyway.
Engagement wishes for daughter
Has your daughter just become an engaged woman? Whether you actually thought this day would ever come or not, it’s happened and now you get to share all your wedding wisdom with her.
First of all though, you need to send your best wishes to the happy couple and one way to do that with a card. As you’ve potentially not had to write this sort of card before, we’ve got come up with engagement wishes for your daughter that will help you get thinking:
- As my forever little girl, I’m so pleased you’ve found your person.
- Seeing your daughter get engaged really hits home just how much she’s grown up. Congratulations to both of you!
- May your marriage be just as happy and full of love as ours has been.
- Wishing you both all the love in the world, especially now that you’re on track for getting wed.
- I’m finally going to get a son/daughter-in-law, how exciting!
- Happy engagement day! As a parent, it doesn’t get much better than this.
- From the start, I knew the two of you were going to last and I’m so excited for you to start this new chapter together.
- Congratulations on your engagement, get ready for some embarrassing dance from your parents at the wedding!
- Currently feeling all the emotions but couldn’t be happier for you and your future husband/wife.
- You’ve grown up to be such a beautiful woman and I can’t wait to watch you walk down the aisle.
Engagement wishes for son
Has your son taken the leap and gotten down on one knee? Did she say yes? If so, congratulations your son’s going to be a married man soon!
It’s completely understandable if you’re just so overcome with emotion that you can’t even think. That’s why we’ve got some engagement wishes for your son that will come in handy when it comes to sending a card their way:
- It took you long enough! Just kidding, we‘re so proud of the man you’ve become.
- Congratulations on your engagement, son! Won’t be long until we have to get you suited and booted for the big.
- Dear son and future daughter-in-law, it’s so lovely to see you both taking the next step in your relationship and may you always love and adore one another.
- Son, today is a huge moment in your life. As your parents, we couldn’t be more excited for you and know you’re going to make an exceptional husband.
- I always had hope that one day you’d experience what true love is like, and I can’t wait to watch you both at the altar.
- Happy engagement! Hope you’re ready for some embarrassing parent speeches once your wedding day finally arrives.
- Congratulations to a wonderful couple, you’re both absolutely perfect for one another and it’s been so lovely to watch your love blossom to this point so far.
- Sending lots of love to the newly engaged couple, crazy to think that I’m going to have a married son!
- Best wishes to the both of you as you start a new adventure together as an engaged couple, including lots of wedding planning to do.
- Truly one of the proudest moments as your mum/dad is seeing you grow up and find your soulmate, I’m so happy for you both and many congratulations on your engagement!
If you’re a little stuck on things to write in an engagement card, how about adding a loving quote into the mix? Celebrities, authors and poets have said some insightful things about engagements in their time, and you might as well take advantage of their wise words, right?
Here are some of the best engagement wishes we could find, quoted from some of the greats:
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” — Audrey Hepburn
- “Where there is love there is life.” — Mahatma Gandhi
- “Engagement marks the end of a whirlwind romance and beginning of an eternal love story.” — Rajeev Ranjan
- “True love stories never have endings.” — Richard Bach
- “To love and to be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.” — David Viscott
- “Remember tonight, for it is the beginning of always.” — Dante Alighieri
- “Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads, which sew people together through the years.” — Simone Signoret
- “The secret of a happy marriage remains… a secret.” — Henny Youngman
- “I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.” – Vincent Van Gogh
- “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin
Need some more inspiration on things to write in a greeting card? Head on over to the thortful blog to find posts on the likes of what to write in a wedding card, perfect for when the big day has been finalised. And discover other handy pre-wedding day blogs on engagement gift ideas and how to plan the perfect engagement party.