Mother’s Day is a day to let your mum know just how grateful you are for her love and support – but it can be hard to know just what to say. Well, if you’re racking your brains for things to write in a Mother’s Day card, you’ve come to the right place.
Check out some of our sweet and funny suggestions of Mother’s Day messages to write in her card, and nail the perfect sentiment to really make her smile this year. And while you’re at it, spoil her with a Mother’s Day gift from our caring collection.
Image source: Pexels
Funny Mother’s Day messages
If your mum loves a good giggle, a funny message will work a treat. There’s nothing better than a little laughter on a big occasion, and if your mum has a cracking sense of humour, you know she’ll love a comical message inside her card. For more ideas, you can also check out our huge range of funny Mother’s Day cards.
Here are some funny Mother’s Day messages sure to get her smiling on her special day:
- Mum, you are one of my favourite parents. Top two, for sure.
- Happy Mother’s Day from the best mistake you ever made
- Mum, you’re getting the same thing I give you every year. Disappointment. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Mum, you gave birth to a legend – give yourself the day off.
- I love you mum, even though you share every single post I put on Facebook.
- Mum, I’m sorry for all of the stupid things I’ve done in the past. Let’s concentrate on the present… I didn’t get you one. But Happy Mother’s Day!
- No-one puts up with my nonsense like you do, mum.
- Happy Mother’s Day. I’m sorry I turned you grey – but I think we can both agree it was worth it.
- As suspected, you were absolutely right about everything. Happy Mother’s Day.
- Happy Mother’s Day, boomer.
Simple and sweet Mother’s Day messages
Sometimes, the best things to write in a Mother’s Day card are simple and from the heart. Keep your card direct this Mother’s Day with messages she’ll remember and appreciate forever. After all, sometimes you can say a little to say a lot… You’ll need a traditional Mother’s Day card to match your simple sentiment. So, take inspiration from our range and write one of the below messages inside.
Here are a few ideas of heartfelt Mother’s Day messages that keep it short and sweet:
- For all you do, and all you are, I love you so much. Happy Mother’s Day.
- Happy Mother’s Day and thanks for putting up with me!
- Sending you all my love mum, today and every day.
- Thanks for being the best mum in the whole world
- I hope you know how much you mean to me, and just how much I love you.
- Thanks for always making home the happiest place to be.
- Life doesn’t come with a manual – but it does come with a mum.
- Mums are like buttons – they hold everything together.
- My life is better every single day because of you and all you’ve taught me.
- I know I can always call and you’ll be there. Thanks for your constant love and support, mum!
Mother’s Day messages from daughters
The bond between a mother and daughter is a powerful thing, so a personalised message for your mum might be just the thing this Mother’s Day. Mother’s Day messages from daughters like yourself can be as heartfelt or simple as you’d like, it really depends on your relationship. But show her you appreciate everything she does for you (and has done for you all your life) with a loving message inside one of our heartfelt Mother’s Day cards.
Here are some suggestions for Mother’s Day card messages from a daughter to her mum:
- Thank you for making me a strong, independent woman. I love you so much, mum – Happy Mother’s Day.
- Behind every daughter who believes in herself, is a mother who believed in her first.
- You taught me how to be fearless, kind, and proud of who I am. Thanks for everything, mum.
- Mum, I’m so grateful for all we’ve shared – lots of good times, laughter, and a real appreciation for a good gin and tonic!
- If I’m half the woman you are, I’ll count myself as lucky.
- Everything I am, I owe to you. Thanks for everything, mum.
- Thank you for being my best friend, my inspiration and my strength. I love you so much, mum!
- I’m so proud to be your daughter, mum. Thank you so much, and Happy Mother’s Day.
- Happy Mother’s Day to my teacher, best friend, agony aunt and inspiration.
- People say turning into your mother as you grow up is a bad thing, but if I end up being anything like you I’ll be proud.
Mother’s Day messages from sons
As the saying goes, “mum’s love their sons”, and likewise… So, you need to truly celebrate the woman who brought you into this world on her special day. But maybe you’re a little lost for words on what to write in a Mother’s Day card? Well, we’ve done the hard work for you. And you can select a loving card from our Mother’s Day collection, too.
Simply take inspiration from these Mother’s Day messages:
- I couldn’t be prouder to be your son. Happy Mother’s Day, you legend.
- As your son, I know I’m your favourite child. Happy Mother’s Day – I hope you feel as special as I do…
- To think I once was embarrassed to hold your hand at the playground…Happy Mother’s Day, mum.
- Happy Mother’s Day to you, and well done – you brought me into the world, and that’s pretty great for everyone…
- Proud doesn’t cut it. Happy Mother’s Day from your son. I honestly don’t know what I’d do without you!
- Thanks for always trying to be the “cool mum” at school, even though you didn’t have to try… Happy Mother’s Day.
- Mum, you rock – don’t ever change. Love from your favourite son.
- Now I have sons on my own, I know how difficult it must’ve been for you… Happy Mother’s Day, you wonderful woman.
Messages for new mums
Is there a new mum in your life that you want to spoil this Mother’s Day? Sometimes it can be hard to think of what to write in a Mother’s Day card for a new mama. Not to worry; we’ve got some corkers in mind. For more ideas, check out our wonderful range of cute Mother’s Day cards to really show you’ve put thought into your message. And if the lady in your life has a baby on the way, we have a host of mum-to-be cards for you to send her way.
We’ve thought up these great Mother’s Day messages for you to pen in your card:
- Happy first Mother’s Day – welcome to the mum club, you’re going to smash it.
- Happy Mother’s Day to you, you’re already bossing motherhood – keep it up!
- This new bundle of joy is all thanks to you, and they’ll love you as much as you love them. Happy Mother’s Day 🙂
- There’s a first time for everything, including celebrating Mother’s Day. So, lap up the attention (and presents) my friend!
- You’ve exceeded my expectations already, you’re a super mum. Happy Mother’s Day.
- It feels like only yesterday that you pushed that baba out of you… oh wait, it was! Enjoy your first Mother’s Day!
- Your first Mother’s Day should be the best, so put your feet up and relax momma’.
Mother’s day messages for grandma
It’s not just mums who deserve thanks and cards on Mother’s Day – grandma needs some appreciation too! Here are some sweet Mother’s Day quotes for grandma to let her know just how much she’s loved – and check out our range of Mother’s Day cards for grandma for more inspiration.
- I hope you know how much I love and appreciate you, grandma. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Grandma – thanks for all of the money you snuck into my hand when mum and dad weren’t looking.
- Thank you for saying yes every time mum said no!
- Thanks for always saving the best biscuits for me, grandma
- Grandma, you’re absolute nan-tastic!
- Thank you for always spoiling me rotten, grandma.
- Super mums make super grandmas. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Happy Mother’s Day to the best grandmother in the whole wide world.
- Grandma, this Mother’s Day I just want to say I love you with all of my heart
- You’re not retired – you’re a professional grandma. Happy Mother’s Day grandma!
Mother’s day messages for stepmums and adoptive mums
So, we’ve made it a little easier with these sweet suggestions of what to say:
- You don’t need DNA to be a great mum – you just need love.
- Every girl needs her mum. Thank you so much for choosing to be mine.
- Sending my fabulous step-mum the happiest Mother’s Day wishes
- You may not have given me the gift of live – but life gave me the gift of you.
- Happy Mother’s Day from the kid you inadvertently picked up when you got it on with my dad
- Genetics might suggest otherwise but you’ll always be my mum.
- Thanks for being the absolute best bonus mum ever.
- Thank god step-mums aren’t anywhere near as bad as Disney made out!
- Being an amazing mum requires kindness, patience and a lot of love – it doesn’t require DNA.
- Not by blood, but by choice – thanks for being my mum.
Mother’s day quotes
Perhaps your mum knows how much you love her, and you’ve sent all the messages you can think of in her cards over the years. To change things up a little, you could pop a loving quote in her card to show her how inspirational she’s been to your life. Also, take a look through our Mother’s Day quote cards for more ideas.
These quotes will really show her how much she means to you:
- “My advice for new moms is this: You’ve never been a mom before, and your baby is new to this world. So be kind to yourself, and be patient. It takes time, but you’ll get the hang of it!” – Hillary Clinton
- “[Having children] made me understand that there was a purity to love. That there is an unconditional love.” – Jennifer Lopez
- “Having kids—the responsibility of rearing good, kind, ethical, responsible human beings—is the biggest job anyone can embark on.” – Maria Shriver
- “The best place to cry is on a mother’s arms.” – Jodi Picoult
- “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” – Sophia Loren
- “She raised us with humour, and she raised us to understand that not everything was going to be great—but how to laugh through it.” – Liza Minnelli
- “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” – Robert Browning
- “You sacrificed for us. You’re the real MVP.” – Kevin Durant
- “My mother is a walking miracle.” – Leonardo DiCaprio
- “There’s no such thing as a supermom. We just do the best we can.” – Sarah Michelle Gellar
Mother’s Day is the perfect time to make sure your mum knows that she’s so very much loved, and show your appreciation for years of patience, kindness and advice. For more inspiration on what to say to your mum, check out our full range of Mother’s Day cards.
Looking for more ideas of sweet messages to put in cards? We have plenty of helpful guides on what to write, to help you find the right words. Or, browse through our handy blog, to find helpful articles on last minute gift ideas and more!