For many, losing your mum is one of the hardest things you can experience. With Mother’s Day coming up, it can be a particularly sensitive time and can be hard to celebrate it like other people do.
But that’s not to say you can’t still do something special on the day! In fact, one way you can honour your mum’s memory is by writing a message that you know she’d love.
If this sounds like something you want to do, but can’t figure out where to start, we’re here to help. We’ve come up with lots of message ideas that you can write for the special female force in your life.
Don’t forget to pick up a fitting Mother’s Day card that you can use to write your message inside. Below you can get an idea of the types of cards our talented team of creators have come up with – we’re certain you’ll be able to find something your mother figure would have loved!
First Mother’s Day in heaven messages
Getting through your first Mother’s Day without your mum is bound to be emotional. If you’ve picked up a Mother’s Day card but are finding it hard to get any words down, that’s completely understandable.
Below are some first Mother’s Day in heaven messages that might help you to start writing:
- Today is the first time I won’t get to give you your card in person but know you’ll appreciate the gesture nonetheless. Happy heavenly Mother’s Day mum!
- It’s the first Mother’s Day since you’ve been gone and whilst it’s difficult, I still want to celebrate the special occasion in your honour.
- Mother’s Day won’t be the same without you here to celebrate, but I know you’d hate to see me cry and rather we make it into a day to celebrate the amazing life you lived.
- Losing you is the hardest thing I’ve ever gone through, and I just wish I could give you a big hug right now. Sending lots of love to you up in heaven.
- Getting through Mother’s Day without you here is definitely strange but I hope you’re having the best Mother’s Day celebrations up in heaven.
Sweet messages to mum in heaven
Mother’s Day is about celebrating all mums, which includes celebrating those who are no longer here with us physically. After all, all the love, guidance, and memories will live on forever!
However, thinking of a message for such a sensitive occasion isn’t easy. That’s why we’ve come up with some ideas for sweet messages to a mum in heaven that you can use as inspiration:
- Happy Mother’s Day in heaven, mum.
- Wish you were here to celebrate Mother’s Day; we’ll all be thinking about you today.
- Even though you’re not here, I still wanted to continue the tradition of writing a Mother’s Day card for you. Happy Mother’s Day, mum!
- Mum, I couldn’t have asked for any better female figure to raise me and show me how to live life to the fullest. I love you and miss you dearly.
- Wishing you the most wonderful Mother’s Day up in heaven, cherishing all of our favourite memories together even more today.
Funny heavenly Mother’s Day wishes
It might not be an occasion you typically associate with humour, but there’s nothing wrong with trying to make things cheerier. For those who shared a sense of humour with their mum, why not add a little bit of amusement to your card?
Here are a few funny heavenly Mother’s Day wishes we’ve come up with:
- I know you’re looking down on me now writing this Mother’s Day card with a big glass of wine in hand judging my horrific handwriting.
- Hope you’re getting up to all sorts of shenanigans up in heaven like you would if you were here to bother us. Happy Mother’s Day, we all miss you so much!
- Thank you for being such a magnificent mum, it’s just a shame you’re not here to see which one of your kids put the most effort into your card (surprise, it was me!).
- Happy Mother’s Day! You may not be here with us but don’t worry, we’ll be getting absolutely sloshed in your honour.
- Although you won’t be able to read it, as your favourite, I felt it was only right to write out a Mother’s Day card for you still. Hope you appreciate it!
Heavenly Mother’s Day wishes for grandma
Mother’s Day isn’t just about celebrating your own mum and can include other female family members such as your grandma. Even if your beloved Gran is sadly not with us anymore, there’s nothing stopping you writing her a beautiful message to celebrate all that she did.
To help you get started, below are some heavenly Mother’s Day wishes for grandma:
- I feel so lucky to have had you as my grandma and will treasure all the years I got to spend with you. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Grandma, whilst I wish you were here with us to celebrate Mother’s Day, I know you’re at peace up in heaven.
- This Mother’s Day, we’ll be celebrating all that you did for us as a family. We’re truly so blessed to have had a grandma like you!
- Today we’re honouring you and your legacy, Grandma. Thank you so much for shaping us into who we are today and hope you’re having a fabulous heavenly Mother’s Day.
- Although you’re not here with us, your wisdom still guides us in the right direction. You taught us all so much including making the most of the time you have with people.
Happy heavenly Mother’s Day wishes for other mother figures
As we mentioned, Mother’s Day can be about anyone you view as an important mother figure. From stepmums and aunties to someone else entirely, there are all sorts of different people who can act like a mum.
So, if there’s a particular lady you miss and want to pay tribute to, here are some happy heavenly Mother’s Day wishes for other mother figures:
- We may not have been biologically related, but you always treated me like your daughter and I’m eternally grateful for that. Happy Mother’s Day up in heaven!
- Even though you weren’t technically my mum, you are the person who shaped me to be who I am today. I miss you so much!
- You’re my chosen mum and whilst I’m sad you’re gone; it brings me some comfort to reminisce on all the amazing times we had!
- Today is all about honouring the women who’ve had the biggest impact on our lives, and for me, that’s you. Thank you so much for everything!
- Just wanted you to know that you were the best maternal figure and will always have a special in my heart.
Whilst we’re all about celebrating every special occasion here at thortful, we understand that losing a loved one changes things. If you found writing a card for Mother’s Day therapeutic or symbolic, we’ve written other pieces on heavenly birthday wishes and how to write a Father’s Day card after he’s passed away that you might also want to read when the day arrives.