Whether you recently lost a loved one or they passed away a few years ago, whenever their birthday rolls around it can be a particularly difficult day. Writing them a card with happy heavenly birthday wishes can be a great way to help make you feel closer to them or serve as a way to celebrate their life.
However, we understand that it can be difficult to find the right words and express how you feel, especially in sensitive and emotional situations like this. That’s why we’ve come up with some inspiration for happy birthday wishes to someone in heaven which may help you get started.
Simple heavenly birthday wishes
Not everyone wants to write out a long message to a loved one who passed away but still finds the action of writing a birthday card helpful, and that’s okay. For those who would prefer to keep their message on the shorter side of things, here are some of our suggestions:
- I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday, you’re so so missed.
- Thinking of you, especially today on your birthday, wish I could be celebrating with you.
- I can’t even put into words how much I’m missing you. Wishing you a happy birthday in heaven.
- While you may not be here to celebrate your birthday with us, you’re still in all of our thoughts.
- I feel so blessed that you were a part of my life. Hope you’re having the best time in heaven.
- Nothing can ever fill the gap you left but knowing you’re at peace eases it a bit. Sending my warmest birthday wishes to the sky.
Lovely wishes to say a happy heavenly birthday to your mum
Mums are the people who brought us into this world which is just one of the many reasons why losing them is so hard. Of course, when their birthday comes round you can use this day to celebrate their life.
So, if you’re wanting to wish your mum a truly glorious birthday, here are some heavenly birthday wishes we’ve come up with to inspire you:
- Honestly, life is so strange without you mum. I miss you each and every day. Hope you’re having the best time celebrating in heaven with Grandma and Grandad.
- Even though you can’t be here with us, we’ll be having a glass of wine in your honour. Happy heavenly birthday mum!
- I miss your voice and the way you used to laugh when one of us did something stupid. Hope you’re having a good time up in heaven on your birthday.
- Heaven really has gained an angel with you mum. I’ll never forget just how much love you spread, happy birthday.
- Your presence really did light up a room mum and I’m sure it’s the same in heaven. We all miss you so much, love you forever and always.
- Not having you around is never going to get easier, but I’ll always treasure the time that we did get together. Hope you can see everyone celebrating your special day from up in heaven.
How to wish a happy heavenly birthday to your dad
For anyone who has lost their dad, we know it can be difficult to wish them a happy birthday when you can’t celebrate with them in heaven. In case you need a little bit of inspiration, here are our caring birthday wishes you can send to your dad on his special day:
- You really were the backbone of this family and supported me through thick and thin. I really miss you, happy heavenly birthday dad!
- Dad, hope you’re having as much of a party up in heaven as you did when you were here with us. Happy Birthday.
- It’s your birthday today dad, I wish you could see how much we’ve all grown up. Happy [insert age] birthday, we miss you loads!
- Today, on your birthday, we really treasure all the moments we spent together, and memories made. I love and miss you so much dad.
- With it being your special day today, I just wanted to say how much we miss you and thank you for shaping me into the person I am today. Heaven is lucky to have you.
- Happy Birthday dad, I’ll never forget everything you did for me and how much you went out of your way for us all. I know you wouldn’t want us to be sad so instead we’ll make sure to have a few laughs in your memory.
Sweet happy birthday wishes to someone in heaven
Continuing some of the typical birthday traditions is a nice way to honour the memory of a loved one. If you’re still keen to write out a card and celebrate their big day, check out our ideas for sweet happy birthday wishes to someone in heaven:
- It’s hard to not be upset that you’re not here with us to celebrate your birthday. I miss you so much, but I know that you’re looking down on me and I’ll be thinking about all the best memories we shared today!
- We all still talk about you and miss you so much and even more so today. Happy birthday [insert name], hope you’re having fun celebrations up there in heaven!
- Happy birthday! I can’t lie, it’s strange to be celebrating your birthday without you. However, I couldn’t let the occasion pass by without getting you a card.
- Today you get to celebrate your birthday in heaven for the first time! Obviously, I’m pretty jealous I don’t get to party with you myself, but I know wherever you are you’ll have drink in hand.
- Yay, it’s your birthday! Remember how we had those birthday traditions? Don’t worry, I’m still going to do them every year, just for you.
- Instead of writing out your birthday card at the last minute like I normally did, today I’m going to taking my time to cherish all our favourite memories together.
Happy heavenly birthday wishes for grandparents
No matter the circumstances, losing a grandparent is never easy. Aside from your parents, they were likely the first people you’d turn to for wisdom and support. That’s why it’s always lovely to honour their memory when their birthday is coming up and continue celebrating their special day.
To help with getting started and figuring out what to say, here are some examples of happy heavenly birthday wishes for grandparents that you can use for inspiration:
- Happy birthday grandma/grandad, I still can’t believe you’re gone but I know you’re at peace now.
- You really knew how to make birthdays extra special so, as a family, we’re going to try do the same for you. Happy birthday, grandma/grandad!
- Even though you’re not here to blow out the candles, we’re still all going to come together to celebrate your birthday. Missing you loads, grandma/grandad.
- Wishing you all the best on your heavenly birthday, grandma/grandad.
- Whilst I wish we could have spent another birthday together, I’m very grateful for all the years that we did get to celebrate you!
- Grandma/grandad, I know you wouldn’t want us to be sad, so I’ll be thinking of only happy thoughts and memories about you on your birthday today.
Touching heavenly birthday quotes
Sometimes, it can feel impossible to find a way to put your true feelings and emotions into words. Not to worry, you can still wish them a happy birthday in heaven with quotes and the wise words of others.
Below are some of our favourite touching heavenly birthday quotes:
- “Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy.” – Eskimo Proverb
- “What is there to do when people die, people so dear and rare, but bring them back by remembering.” – May Sarton
- “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “We never lose our loved ones. They accompany us; they don’t disappear from our lives. We are merely in different rooms.” – Paulo Coelho
- “In life, we loved you dearly, in death we love you still. In our hearts you hold a place, no one else will ever fill.” – Unknown
- “If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever.” – Winnie the Pooh
When it comes to sending birthday wishes to heaven, we know it’s not an easy task but hopefully our message inspiration has helped you out. And if you know someone else who is grieving the loss of a loved one, why not take a look at our other guide on what to write in a sympathy card.