Writing a card to someone who is grieving the loss of a loved one can be incredibly difficult. And you’re not alone if you are struggling to know just what to write in a sympathy card because you feel sad for their loss, so you can’t imagine the pain they’re going through – or how to console them with your words.
Sometimes less is more, and below we offer some suggestions of short, simple sympathy messages. On other occasions, a longer message of sympathy might feel appropriate. So, take your time and see what feels right to you. After all, finding the words to write in a sympathy card might not be easy, but a well-crafted message can make all the difference. Remember, sending a present to their door is sure to bring a smile to their face during this tough time, and we have a whole collection of sympathy and “thinking of you” gifts to send their way, from plants to chocolates.
Short, simple sympathy messages
If you’re writing a sympathy card, that doesn’t necessarily mean it has to include an essay-long quote or message to show them that you care. The phrase “less is more” is a popular one for a reason, and if someone close to you has faced a big loss in their life, they’re going to appreciate a message no matter how small (or big) it is.
Wondering what to write in a sympathy card? Here are some short and snappy messages for you to pen down, and why not pair one of these with our selection of illustrated sympathy cards; just because your message is simple, doesn’t mean the card has to be!
- Sending you all of our love and strength.
- Thinking of you at this sad time.
- Keeping you in our thoughts during this time of sorrow.
- We are with you in your sorrow, and wishing you peace and comfort.
- Sending heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathy.
- So sorry for your loss. Sending love and hugs.
- Never forgotten, always remembered.
- My heart goes out to you at this difficult time.
- May all your memories bring you peace at this sorrowful time.
- Keeping you in our hearts as we share in your sadness.
Thoughtful sympathy messages
If someone you love has lost someone they love, they will be grateful for anything you send or write to them during this difficult time. And if they are really sentimental, they’ll prefer thoughtful sympathy messages over anything else. Whether it’s a simple “I love you” or a three-line, heartfelt paragraph, their spirits will be lifted when they receive your loving condolenses.
We’ve put our heads together, so here are some truly thoughtful messages we’ve created for you to choose from. And you can take inspiration from our collection of cute sympathy cards, to send them a smile in the post:
- So sorry to hear your sad news. You’re in my thoughts and my heart in the days ahead, and I’m here for you should you need me for anything.
- It might not be much, but I hope my condolences can help bring you strength in the difficult days ahead.
- Please know that we are thinking of you as you grieve, and we are honouring the memory of one so loved as [name of deceased].
- I am deeply saddened to hear of [name of deceased]’s passing and want to send you all my love and sympathies for your loss.
- At such a sad time, I hope that your memories provide some comfort, along with the thoughts and prayers of all of us who love you.
- Thinking of you after the sad loss of [name of deceased]. We are with you in mourning, and here for you should you need anything at all at this difficult time.
- I’m shocked and saddened to hear of [name of deceased]’s passing and want you to know you are at the forefront of my thoughts in the difficult days ahead.
- Sending you all of our love, and hoping that peace and memories bring you comfort as you find the courage to face the days ahead.
- As we mourn [name of deceased]’s passing with you, we are celebrating a great life and cherishing the memories that we hope will bring you strength in dark times.
- Please accept our deepest condolences after the passing of [name of deceased]. You and your family are uppermost in our thoughts as you come to terms with such a sad loss.
Sympathy messages for loss of spouse or partner
Perhaps someone you know has lost their partner, their spouse or someone they were dating recently, and you want to show them you’re there for them 100%.
If you don’t know what to write in a sympathy card for loss of wife, we’re not surprised – this can be incredibly tricky, and the same can be said for what to write in a sympathy card for loss of husband. After all, if the couple were married, this usually means they’ve spent years loving each other dearly. So you might think, “but… there are no words”. No, trust us, there are – they can just be a little hard to come by when you’re grieving too.
To help console your closest friends or family, write down one of these carefully curated, compassionate messages – and pop it in one of our modern sympathy cards to really make their day.
- I loved Ben so much – he was my best friend, but I can’t imagine what you’re going through right now as his partner. Just know he loved you dearly, and remember that when you’re reminded of this terrible loss.
- Losing the person you love the most in this world must be so hard. But I have every faith you can get through this loss in time. Please just remember to take every day one step at a time.
- Your wife was your life, I know that – and she truly was the greatest. I’ll be thinking about you both as I sip a glass of her favourite wine tonight, please do the same. Cheers to her brilliance, may we cherish it forever.
- I was thinking about all the funny things (and sayings) you and Alice used to say to each other when we’d pop next door for a cuppa, and it really made me smile. I hope you can think about the memories together and hold them close during this difficult time.
- I know I never knew your husband personally, but the way you spoke about him at work made me gush with happiness for you both. Long may that continue, please look after yourself and never stop talking about her brilliance.
- What a loss, but what a life they had. You’ll be together in another life, and while you’re still in this one – know I’m here for you whenever you need a friend.
- I can’t express how sorry I am that you’ve lost your precious partner. I’ve lit a candle as I’m writing this to remember her by, maybe do the same as you’re reading this? We’re all in this together, I love you.
Sympathy messages for loss of mother
If your friend or any one of your loved ones has lost their mum, any messages of sympathy will be greatly appreciated – of course. But you might be struggling to think of the right words to say. After all, it’s (sadly) a life-changing moment for them, so you want to ensure you’re as kind and caring as can be in your card. That’s why we’ve helped take the heat off the situation and provided some great ideas on what to write in a sympathy card for loss of mother. And for more ideas, you can also browse our range of quote sympathy cards, which are filled with inspirational sayings.
Here are our favourite caring messages to write:
- I’m so sorry I’m even writing this, and sympathy messages won’t do this gigantic loss justice. But I’m so sorry for your loss. Your mum will always be the greatest.
- Your mum was a cut above the rest – and so are you. Know I’m here for you every step of the way.
- Your mum was so special, she is so special, and she’ll always be so special. My greatest condolences now and forever.
- Sending you a cuddle in the post because you need it. I’m sorry this had to happen to your mum, but we’ll get through this together.
- As we look back on your marvellous mum, we can think about all the joy she brought you – and us all. Love you millions.
- Mate, I’m sorry this has happened to your wonderful mum – I know it’s going to be hard, but I’ll be by your side through it all. Promise.
- Thinking of you and your family at this tough time – sending all my love, always.
Sympathy messages for loss of father
It’s no secret that deciding what to write in a sympathy card is tough, especially if someone you love has just lost their dad. The most important thing you can do is show you’re thinking of them – and by sending them one of our loving sympathy cards, you’re off to a good start.
- Please remember all the good times you had with your pops. He was a shining star and so are you. Sending my best wishes.
- The man, the myth, the legend – your dad. So sorry this card had to even be sent, but you’re in my thoughts. Love you.
- I’m so sorry to hear your dad has passed away, he was truly special… Sending all of the love I can give.
- You’ve got this – I know it won’t feel like it right now, but every day will get a little bit easier. And if it doesn’t, that’s okay – I’m just a phone call away.
- Please remember all the good memories your dad brought to your life, he always was the star of the show – and he still is!
- Your dad was one in a million, I’m so sorry for your loss and I’ll do anything in my power to make you feel better. You name it, I’ll do it!
- What a guy your dad was – he’d be so proud of you, don’t forget that. Thinking of you pal.
Thinking of the right words to write in a sympathy card is never easy, but showing support to the loved ones in your life can be really helpful – especially when they’re going through such a difficult period. And we hope we’ve made the writing process a little easier for you as you send a heartfelt card their way.
Loss of a pet sympathy card messages
A time comes when someone in your life loses a pet, and that pet is their absolute world. Whether they’ve had to say goodbye to their cute kitten, humble hound, little hamster or their age-old tortoise, sending sympathy messages their way will massively help them during their grieving process. Knowing you’re thinking of them, and sharing funny memories that you remember of their pet is what they’ll need at a hard time like this.
So, here are some sincere messages to take inspiration from when writing a sympathy card – and while you’re at it, browse our range of amazing animal sympathy cards to send their way:
- Thinking of you after the loss of the best cat in the world. She’ll be missed by so many people, that’s for sure. Love you.
- Sending all my love your way as you’re mourning the loss of such a fantastic fur baby. Here for you always.
- Losing a pet is so hard, so please call me whenever you’re feeling down to relive the memories of him pinching our food wherever we were sat!
- Our pets have such a big influence on our lives, so please know that we’re thinking of you during this tough time.
- When you’re feeling sad, just remember when your little furball would whizz around his hamster wheel without a care in the world – the funny little guy.
- I know your pup was your world, so things might feel a little heavy right now. But please know I’m here whenever you need me (for a rant, cry or photo album scroll)!
- Pets are brilliant little buggers, so I can’t express how sorry I am that you’ve had to deal with this huge loss. Lots of love to you during this time.
Hopefully you’ll now have a better idea about which messages of sympathy to write in your loved one’s card. And for more inspiration on what to write in cards, head on over to our blog to discover articles on what to write in a thinking of you card, as well as thortful’s tips for getting through tough times.