The arrival of the New Year marks the end of the festive period, but it also begins a new chapter in our lives, and there can be a lot to look forward to about a new year starting. Sharing this optimism and joy with your friends and family can be great fun at a New Year or Hogmanay party, but we can’t always be with our loved ones at this time of year, so sending a happy New Year message can be a wonderful way to let them know they are in our thoughts.
Finding the right way to send a New Year card message can sometimes be a little tricky, but that’s why you’ve got your friends here at thortful to help.
We’ve got the ideal guide to what to write in a New Year’s card to harken the arrival of a new calendar year. And if you’re looking to celebrate the arrival of the Lunar New Year, check out our traditional Chinese New Year greetings instead. From funny New Year’s messages to some more inspirational New Year quotes, here are our top picks to inspire you.
Looking for some of the latest and greatest New Year’s cards? Take a peek at our current faves:
Happy New Year messages
Start the year off in a traditional way with a New Year greeting that conveys all the happiness and excitement you feel for the year ahead. Try one of these happy New Year messages to send to loved ones this year:
- Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy New Year.
- May the New Year bless you with health and happiness.
- Happy New Year this year and every year!
- May your 2023 be filled with adventures, accomplishments and laughter.
- Hoping that your 2023 is filled with meaningful memories you will cherish forever.
- Raising a toast to you and yours as the bells chime midnight!
- Happy New Year! I look forward to another year of fun and love with you in my life.
- Wishing you all the happiness that this life can bring – happy 2023!
Funny New Year messages
Your loved ones might not appreciate these more loving messages – if they’re more likely to chuckle at funny New Year sentiments, why not try out one of these hilarious one-liners in one of our funny New Year cards to give them a good giggle this New Years? And if you’re looking for more NYE humour, make sure you check out our guide to what your New Year’s resolution says about you.
- Before you get drunk, dance on the bar, wear a traffic cone as a hat, lose your phone and wake up next year with a cracking hangover… I just wanted to say an early happy new year.
- Getting old is realising you have to force yourself to stay awake for the bells – happy New Year old man/lady!
- The best part of marking resolutions is breaking resolutions – looking forward to another year of behaving badly with you
- Looking forward to hearing all the New Year’s resolutions you won’t be keeping this year.
- Happy New Year! Let us eat, drink and be merry because we’ll be miserable when the diet starts.
- Beautiful, kind, loving and wise – you’re so lucky to have a friend like me to take into the New Year!
- This year, may you be a little bit older, a little bit rounder, and absolutely none the wiser.
- I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since you didn’t become a better person.
Inspirational New Year messages
Here are some of our favourite quotes about New Year’s Eve and New Year to help inspire your friends and family to live their life to the fullest in 2022 and make the most of their blessed lives. Add one of these into one of our pretty New Year’s cards so they have both a beautiful quote and picture to put on their shelf in 2022:
- “New Year’s most glorious light is sweet hope!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
- “The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written.” ― Melody Beattie
- ”We all get the exact same 365 days. The only difference is what we do with them.” ― Hillary DePiano
- “Nothing is as good as coming into the new year with zeal, hope and a positive mind.” ― Bamigboye Olurotimi
- “Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.” —Oprah Winfrey
- “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365-page book. Write a good one.” —Brad Paisley
- “Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go. They merely determine where you start.” —Nido Qubein
If you’re still a little stuck for inspiration, check out our what to write section of our blog to find some more hilarious, sweet and rude messages that will perfectly suit your card – and its recipients! And don’t forget to send an extra-thoughtful gift with a card to help that special someone welcome in the New Year.