The arrival of the New Year marks the end of the festive period, but it also begins a new chapter in our lives, and there can be a lot to look forward to about a new year starting. Sharing this optimism and joy with your friends and family can be great fun at a New Year or Hogmanay party, but we can’t always be with our loved ones at this time of year, so sending a happy New Year message can be a wonderful way to let them know they are in our thoughts.
Finding the right way to communicate your happy new year message can sometimes be a little tricky – we’ve got the ideal guide to what to write in a New Year card, whether to harken the arrival of a new calendar year or the arrival of the Chinese New Year. From funny new year messages to nice new year messages, here are our top picks to inspire you.
Happy New Year messages
Start the year off in a traditional way with a New Year greeting that conveys all the happiness and excitement you feel for the year ahead. Try a happy New Year message inside one of our classic cards to send to loved ones this year:
- Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy New Year.
- May the New Year bless you with health and happiness.
- Happy New Year this year and every year!
- May your 2022 be filled with adventures, accomplishments and laughter.
- Hoping that your 2022 is filled with meaningful memories you will cherish forever.
- Raising a toast to you and yours as the bells chime midnight!
- Happy New Year! I look forward to another year of fun and love with you in my life.
- Wishing you all the happiness that this life can bring – happy 2022!
Funny New Year messages
Your loved ones might not appreciate these more loving messages – they’re more likely to need a laugh after the last few years, so why not try out one of these hilarious one-liners in one of our funny or rude cards to give them a good giggle this New Years:
- We all know the hangover from 2021 will be worse than the hangover from Hogmanay!
- Getting old is realising you have to force yourself to stay awake for the bells – happy New Year old man/lady!
- Here’s hoping you win the lottery so you finally stop making me pay for dinner!
- Looking forward to hearing all the New Year’s resolutions you won’t be keeping this year.
- Happy New Year! Let us eat, drink and be merry because we’ll be miserable when the diet starts.
- Beautiful, kind, loving and wise – you’re so lucky to have a friend like me to take into the New Year!
Inspirational New Year messages
Here are some of our favourite quotes about New Year’s Eve and New Year to help inspire your friends and family to live their life to the fullest in 2022 and make the most of their blessed lives. Add one of these into one of our pretty New Year’s cards so they have both a beautiful quote and picture to put on their shelf in 2022:
- “New Year’s most glorious light is sweet hope!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
- “The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written.” ― Melody Beattie
- ”We all get the exact same 365 days. The only difference is what we do with them.” ― Hillary DePiano
- “Nothing is as good as coming into the new year with zeal, hope and a positive mind.” ― Bamigboye Olurotimi
- “Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.” —Oprah Winfrey
- “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365-page book. Write a good one.” —Brad Paisley
- “Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go. They merely determine where you start.” —Nido Qubein
Chinese New Year greetings
Chinese New Year is a great celebration, otherwise known as the Spring Festival or the Lunar New Year, which marks the start of the next Chinese Lunar year, beginning on the second new moon after the winter solstice. Like New Year in Western civilisation, it is celebrated with fireworks, gift-giving and large parties and dinners with family and friends. If you have any loved ones celebrating Chinese New Year, reach out to them with one of our Chinese New Years cards and be sure to include one of these meaningful Chinese New Year greetings:
- Say “Happy New Year” in Mandarin: “Xin nian kuai le” or “san nin fai lok” in Cantonese.
- May this new year bring you good health and good fortune.
- Health, wealth and endless joy are what I wish for you and your family this year.
- Wishing you a year of abundance, kindness and prosperity.
- Gongxi facai – May you come into good fortune!
- Sui Sui ping an – Peace all year round.
If you’re still a little stuck for inspiration, check out our what to write section of our blog to find some more hilarious, sweet and rude messages that will perfectly suit your card – and its recipients! And don’t forget to send an extra-thoughtful gift with any of our cards – choose from a cake, drinks (both alcoholic and alcohol-free), plants or even a calming candle to welcome in the New Year.