Bringing a new dog home is a big commitment. So, if you’ve got a friend or family member who has recently decided to get a furry companion, be sure to mark this moment with a card! Oh, and if you’re struggling with what to write in a new dog card, we’ve done the hard work and come up with a bunch of different options you can use.
If you can tell they’re already crazy about their pup, be sure to check our range of cards for dog lovers. We’ve got dog-themed cards fit for every occasion, just take a look at some of our top picks below.
Kind messages about getting a new dog
There’s no doubt that you’ll be wanting an excuse to go round and visit the new furry friend and what better reason to do so than giving over your new dog card in person? You could even be super sweet and wish them a happy new puppy day with one of our kind message ideas:
- Congratulations on your new furry friend, having a dog in the home changes your life for the better.
- If there’s one good thing about being an adult, it’s being able to welcome an adorable pooch as part of your family.
- Wishing you and your new fur baby all the best!
- I know how long you’ve both been looking to get a puppy, congrats on officially becoming pet parents!
- I hope you’re ready for me to come over to yours all the time and play with [insert dog’s name], personally I can’t wait for all the snuggle sessions.
- Just wanted to send over a quick card and message to say congrats on your new furry family member.
- It’s so fulfilling having a dog in your life, they really are man’s best friend.
- I guess your family really is complete now, congratulations!
Hilarious congratulations on your new puppy messages
We’ve all seen those funny dog compilations on YouTube, so it’s really quite fitting to include a humorous message inside your card. But if you can’t get your jokes to actually be funny, here are some we’ve come up with:
- Have you told the grumpy ol’ cat about this newcomer yet? If not, good luck with that.
- As long as you’ve got all the essentials including a giant supply of pee pads and a whole load of patience then I’m sure you’ll be just fine – you got this!
- Does this mean kids are off the cards for a while then? I was hoping to become a proper grandparent soon and a dog doesn’t count!
- Guess there’s going to be more than one b*tch in your house now…
- Good luck making sure that they don’t annoy the neighbours.
- I hope you realise just how big of a financial commitment a dog is, all those trips to the vets over nothing serious quickly add up (trust me on this one).
- Look at you all grown up and owning your own pet, I guess anything is paw-sible.
- You’re in for a bit of a ruff time during the puppy house training days, my friend – good luck (you’re gonna need it)!
Funny dog jokes
If our other hilarious message ideas aren’t quite tickling you enough, why not take a look at these proper funny dog jokes instead?
- What do you call a dog magician? A labracadabrador.
- What did Darth Vader’s dog say to Luke’s dog? Join the bark side.
- What do you call a dog that can’t bark? A hushpuppy.
- What did the waiter tell the dog at the restaurant? Bone appetite!
- What do dogs usually like to eat at the cinema? Pupcorn.
- What do you call young dogs who play in the snow? Slush puppies.
- How can you tell if you have a lazy dog? He only chases parked cars.
- What makes more noise than a dog barking? Two dogs barking!
New dog messages for first-time owners
Know somebody who’s been dreaming of the day they can have a dog to call their own? Whether you’re thinking of sharing some wisdom you wish you’d known or just remember how excited you were, here are some new dog messages for first-time owners that we’ve come up with:
- I’m so SO happy that you finally get to have your own little fur baby to love and take care of.
- Congratulations on your new puppy, all those years of manifestation paid off!
- I know you’ve been waiting for this day for so long and I’m expecting lots of adorable puppy pictures.
- If there’s anything a first-time dog owner should know, it’s to treasure every moment you spend with them.
- I just want you to know that I’m very aware you won’t be up for plans because you’ll want to spend time with your cute puppy. Just invite me over to yours instead!
- There’s truly no better feeling than coming home to a happy dog who sees you as its entire world.
- As you’ll soon come to learn, getting a puppy is like having a child including sleepless nights and potty training. However, it’s all worth it in the end!
- What an exciting time, I know you’ve been waiting a long time for this and I can’t wait to meet the little fluffball myself!
As new dog owners, you might want to send across our article delving into the science of dogs. There we have expert insight into how to show your dog just how much you care as well as why our dogs make us so happy and healthy.
Considerate new dog messages for anyone adopting
If you know someone who has recently adopted a dog, or will be doing so soon, make sure you send an appropriate
- Massive congratulations on adopting your dog, hope they settle in quickly!
- I hear you’ve just adopted a dog and I already know they’re going to adore their new life with you.
- It’s so lovely of you to give an older dog some well-deserved love and attention!
- You and your adopted furry friend are going to have the best life together ever.
- As someone who also adopted a dog, I can tell you for a fact that it’s one the best decisions I’ve ever made.
- I know the adoption process hasn’t been the easiest but it’s all worth it for one of the cutest dogs ever!
- Welcome to a life of cuddles with a furry companion who deserved an extra loving family.
- As if it’s finally time to welcome [insert dog’s name] to their new forever home. Congratulations!
Sweet new puppy quotes
Of course, the true bond between a person and their dog can be hard to put into words. So, if you’re not sure quite how to put it here are some sweet new puppy quotes that you might want to include in your card:
- “Over the years I have felt the truest, purest love – the love of God, really, I imagine that’s what God’s love feels like – is the love that comes from your dog.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.” – Louis Sabin
- “The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be.” – Konrad Lorenz
- “A dog will teach you unconditional love. If you can have that in your life, things won’t be too bad.” – Robert Wagner
- “Happiness is a warm puppy.” – Charles M. Schulz
- “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” – Rodger A. Caras
- “Before you get a dog, you can’t quite imagine what living with one might be like; afterward, you can’t imagine living any other way.” – Caroline Knapp
- “The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.” – Andy Rooney
Now you know exactly the sort of well-wishes you can send to your loved ones (and their new furry family member)! And if you’re looking for even more dog content, you should definitely check out our research into mums’ favourite dog breeds as well as our guide on throwing the pawfect dog birthday party!
If that somehow isn’t enough and you’re after even more articles like this one, you’re in the perfect place. Just check out the rest of the thortful blog for tonnes more lifestyle and special occasions articles.