There are certain birthdays that require just a little extra effort when it comes to sending a card befitting of the occasion. Many people keep their happy 18th birthday messages and even their 40th birthday messages for the rest of their lives, so it’s worth putting some careful thought into your choice of words.
To give you a helping hand with your milestone birthday messages, we’ve collated some of the very best ideas from around the web, including what to write in a 50th birthday card and how to craft 21st birthday messages. We’ve gathered inspiration from light-hearted approaches, funny messages, and more heartfelt birthday card greetings. Take a look and see, because the ideas we’ve come up with could be exactly what you were looking for!
18th birthday messages
When someone in your life is turning 18, it’s the first milestone birthday they’ll have experienced, aside from their 16th. To think, they can legally drink and paint the town red now, so there’s a lot to consider when you’re putting pen to paper! Perhaps you’re struggling to think of something unique, fun and playful to write in their card? Well, don’t worry; we’ve thought-up some great little messages you can include to get them smiling like a Chesire cat!
Here are some of our favourite happy 18th birthday messages:
- Let’s make your 18th birthday one to remember! Old enough to be responsible for your mistakes…which, let’s be honest, don’t stop at any age!
- Happy 18th birthday! It’s all downhill from here!
- Welcome to adulthood! Time to do all those things you’ve been patiently waiting to do since you were 15… right?
- For your 18th birthday, my gift to you is… the freedom to do everything with the money to do nothing!
- Happy birthday! You’re now eight, with 10 years’ experience!
For more inspiration, make sure you check out our excellent selection of 18th birthday cards.
21st birthday messages
Whether it’s your child’s big day, your best friend or your partner’s special birthday, we all know that turning 21 is a big moment in someone’s life. You might be a bit stuck for ideas writing your 21st birthday message to someone, because it’s such an iconic birthday. But we’ve got some corkers in mind for you to pinch!
Here are some exceptional 21st birthday messages to write in their card:
- Everyone always wishes they could be 21 again, so enjoy making them all jealous for the next 365 days!
- Only nine years til 30… best get that party started!
- You’re 21! Now everything is legal. Sadly, legal often ain’t quite as fun!
- No pressure, but by the age of 21 Steve Jobs had already founded Apple. I’m sure you’ve got something big lined up though, right?
- Happy 21st birthday! Wishing you love, luck, and fortune as you embark on the next stage of your life.
And if you’re looking for even more inspiration, our 21st birthday cards will point you in the right direction…
30th birthday messages
Ah, 30, the age we all want to remember and forget all at once! If a special someone in your life is getting older (and wiser), you’ll need to write something spectacular to really mark this occasion. We’ve saved you the hassle and thought of some all-rounders. So, if you’re debating over what to write in a 30th birthday card, stop fretting; there’s no need. As a card company, we’re pretty experienced at this kind of thing. And we’re here to save the day. They’ll be giggling in no time…
Here are our top five 30th birthday messages to write in their card this year:
- They say 30 is the new 20, so forget about today… let’s get planning your 21st!
- You’re not 30. You’re 25 plus shipping and handling.
- You survived your twenties! Thank goodness that’s over, eh? Now to kick back and enjoy the smooth ride to the big four-oh 😉
- Happy 30th! No age-related jokes here. I feel genuinely bad about how old you are.
- You’re old enough to look back but still young enough to look forward! Enjoy your 30th birthday.
These messages are pretty swell, and offer plenty of choice. Now you just need a card to write them in. Take a look at our selection of 30th birthday cards to really make their day.
40th birthday messages
Maybe your auntie, uncle, friend or partner is turning 40 this year, and you want to send them a message that will really stick in their mind (for all the right reasons). You can introduce all the jokes going when writing 40th birthday card messages, but you might be racking your brains thinking about what to write. Fear not, we’ve got you covered.
Here are some light and humorous messages to write:
- Welcome to your forties, where it takes longer to get over a good time than it does to have one in the first place!
- You’re not obviously old yet, but if you were milk I’d give you a quick sniff before pouring you on my cereal.
- Being 40 is fine when you look 29! Happy birthday hot stuff 😉
- In 20 years you’ll be 60. Just let that sink in.
- Thank goodness birthdays only come once a year, because if they came every month you’d be 480!
If you’re wanting a few more ideas, sift through our collection of 40th birthday cards.
50th birthday messages
The recipient in your life is about to turn 50 – that’s half a century, woah! But what 50th birthday card messages are best to include in their card? We’d recommend joking around and adding anything that will make them laugh to themselves, but you might be a little unsure on how to portray that with words.
Just write one of these 50th birthday card messages to win them over on their special day:
- Happy birthday! How does it feel to be REDACTED years old?
- Welcome to your fifties! Your body may be piling up the years but your mental age remains comfortably in the single digits.
- Congratulations! You’ve completed your first 1,577,923,200 seconds as a human being. Here’s to the next 18,263 days!
- Coco Chanel said it best: “You can be gorgeous at thirty, charming at forty, and irresistible for the rest of your life.”
- Thank you for giving us five wonderful decades of you, and here’s to many more!
Send the lucky person in your life one of our 50th birthday cards with one of these messages, and you’ll be their favourite in no time!
60th birthday messages
The big 6-0 is arriving for someone near and dear to you, but what can you pen down to show you care? It’s not as tricky as you think, but we’ve provided some options for you to choose. So, take your pick and stop worrying about what to write!
Here are some of the best 60th birthday messages to include in your card:
- Happy 60th birthday! You’re aged to perfection.
- Happy birthday! I’m not saying you’re old, but the markings on your papyrus birth certificate are starting to fade.
- Remember how good you felt at 30? Well double it and enjoy!
- When it comes to your age, it’s mind over matter: neither of us mind, so it certainly doesn’t matter!
- I would wish you a memorable 60th but you’ve already got plenty of memories – let’s live in the moment and enjoy your birthday!
To buy your loved one the best 60th birthday card, browse our creative collection and find your favourite.
70th birthday messages
Maybe one of your parents or your grandparents is turning 70 this year and you’re at a loose end trying to think of what to write? Well, a thoughtful message will certainly brighten their day, but remember to add some light humour in there, too. Just because they’re getting a little older, doesn’t mean they don’t have a sense of humour!
Trust us, 70th birthday messages don’t get much better than these:
- As the old saying goes, youth is a gift of nature but age is a work of art. Here’s to standing back and admiring you at 70!
- It’s your birthday, and this is a big one. Then again, every birthday is a big one at your age!
- Happy 70th birthday! Maybe skip the candles this year, just to be on the safe side 😉
- Think of all the things you’ve learned in 70 years… and put them to one side while you enjoy growing old disgracefully!
- I was going to write you a poem, but nothing rhymes with seventy!
Check out our marvellous range of 70th birthday cards to write one of these thoughtful and funny messages in.
80th birthday messages
Someone’s turning 80 in your life, which is a pretty big deal. Whether it’s your grandparents, your parents, your favourite neighbour or an old teacher you still keep in touch with, you need to write their card with care. Get as soppy as you like; really show your affectionate side. After all, they’ve probably seen every funny birthday message going over their years of living!
Here are some of our best 80th birthday messages you can use:
- Happy birthday to my favourite octogenarian! Let’s celebrate eight remarkable decades of your fabulous life.
- I’ve met four 20-year-olds and I can say with confidence: they weren’t a patch on you. Happy 80th birthday!
- You are 80 years old and 80 years loved. Happy birthday to a very special person!
- You’ve been making the world a better place for 80 years! Now sit back and enjoy it while we celebrate your birthday.
- Happy birthday to the most youthful, creative, energetic 80-year-old I know!
Find the perfect 80th birthday card from our range to write your carefully curated message in.
90th birthday messages
Turning 90 is worth celebrating, that’s for sure. With this ripe old age, you can joke around or be serious with your recipient when putting pen to paper. Just assess who you’re sending it to. Wondering what to write to show you care? We’ve got some cracking ideas in mind…
You can’t beat these 90th birthday messages:
- Age might be important in cheese and wine, but with people like you it’s just a number.
- 90 and not out! Happy birthday to one of the all-time greats.
- You’ve been inspiring us all for nine brilliant decades, and today we get to celebrate all the things we love about you. Happy birthday!
- Rome wasn’t built in a day, and at 90 you’re still improving by the minute!
- The classics take a long time to perfect, and in 90 years you’ve become one of the very best. Happy birthday!
Find the perfect 90th birthday card from our varied range and get inspired.
100th birthday messages
Turning 100 is incredible; this age is one of wisdom. But, can then put pressure on you to write a really great message that your loved one will hold dear to them. Let’s face it, this milestone birthday message needs to be a good one. Although messages for other ages can be quite comical, you’re going to want to write a more sentimental one for this monumental occasion. Because, after all, we were always taught to respect our elders…
So, choose one of these to write the perfect happy 100th birthday message:
- What a wonderful achievement to reach your 100th birthday. It’s an honour to celebrate you today.
- Today we celebrate 10 decades of you! A whole century of wonderful memories, to which today can be added.
- Everyone you know is thinking of you today and celebrating your remarkable achievement of 100 wonderful years.
- It is a privilege to wish you a happy 100th birthday. I hope my card arrived before your letter from the Queen!
- One hundred years ago, a legend was born! You have made us all incredibly proud, and we are honoured to celebrate you today.
To celebrate the oldest (and greatest) person in your life, get them a 100th birthday card from our range that they’ll truly cherish. As you can see, thinking of what to write for your milestone birthday messages doesn’t have to be hard!
For more inspiration on what to write in cards, check out the rest of our blog to discover posts on the best birthday gift ideas for her and more. And if you’re looking for some ideal birthday gifts to give to them, we’ve got quite the collection. So, start spoiling them rotten on their special day!