There are many jokes about people disliking their mothers-in-law, but many of us out there have good, even great, relationships with our partner’s parents. When it comes time to write a sweet message to your mother-in-law on special occasions though, it can feel difficult to write something personal and emotional to someone who is not directly related to us – so here’s some ideas for those who are searching for inspiration. And while you’re at it, show that you truly care by sending one of our handpicked gifts to go with your card, including gin or flowers to show that you are the perfect daughter/son-in-law!
Mother’s Day messages for mother-in-law
From thoughtful and sweet, to funny and a bit sarcastic, we have a huge range of mother-in-law cards to choose from, as well as a whole range of ways you can wish your mother-in-law a Happy Mother’s Day inside the card. The entire day is made for celebrating the mother-figures in our lives, and few people can come as close to the real deal as our mothers-in-law. After all, she did bring your beloved other half into this world and raise them to be the awesome person you chose as a partner!
- Thank you for everything that you do for my partner and I, we appreciate all of it and love you endlessly.
- Your support during the last year was incredible and we couldn’t have done it without your kind words and wise guidance.
- As far as mothers-in-law go, I’d say you’re alright.
- Thanks for being the best mother-in-law in the whole world!
- Thanks for being the absolute best bonus mum ever.
- Turns out mothers-in-law aren’t anywhere near as bad as the movies make out!
- You’re my favourite mother-in-law by far.
- I hope you enjoy the card and present from your son/daughter… that I actually bought for you.
Birthday wishes for mother-in-law
Some people might prefer to take the easier get-out-jail-free card with birthday cards and just sign their name next to their partners on their card, but everyone loves to receive loads of cards on their birthday and getting an individual birthday card for your mother-in-law can really show that you care. But what to write inside it? Well, here are a few birthday wishes for mother-in-law ideas:
- I hope your birthday is as lovely and sweet as you.
- Hoping that this year brings you all the wonderful things you deserve.
- Birthdays look beautiful on you.
- Happy Birthday to the mother-in-law of the year!
- Happy Birthday from your favourite son/daughter/child in law!
- Sending you warm wishes for your special day.
- Wishing you happiness and joy for the next year of your life.
Happy birthday messages to a future mother-in-law
Happy birthday messages to future mothers-in-law can also feel like a minefield – nobody wants to look like a suck-up, but also you don’t want to look like you don’t care, argh! – but trust us, just letting her know that you remembered her birthday and cared enough to send a card with a sweet message inside should do the trick!
- Hoping that you have a wonderful day with your family.
- With such an awesome mum, it is no surprise that my partner is an awesome person too. Enjoy your special day.
- Thank you for accepting me into your family with welcoming arms – I hope you have a wonderful birthday.
- I’m so blessed that the partner of my dreams also has perfect parents.
- I really enjoy spending time with you and look forward to getting to know you even better – happy birthday!
Sweet messages for your mother-in-law
There are several occasions during the year outside of birthdays and Mother’s Day when you will want to send a card to your mother-in-law. From supporting your partnership, to helping you raise a family, and everything in between, it’s more than likely that you have a lot of personal thoughts and emotions you want to share. There are many sweet messages you can include that will let her know just how much you care.
- I don’t know what I’d do without you.
- You’re not just my mother-in-law, you’re like a best friend.
- Thank you for everything you do for our family, I hope you know it’s always appreciated.
- Thank you for your constant support, we couldn’t have gotten through the last year without your wisdom and care.
- You have loved me and accepted me as your own son/daughter/child, and I will always be grateful to you for this.
- I know I don’t say it nearly enough but thank you for all the times you’ve been there for me.
- Life has given me plenty of reasons to be happy, and you are one of them. I couldn’t wish for a better mother-in-law.
- Two mums are better than one!
- One of life’s biggest blessings has been becoming part of your family.
- Thank you for putting up with me and my partner!
Messages for long-distance mother-in-law
Unfortunately, we can’t always be near our families, but letting them know that we think of them often in a sweet card can help to keep those familial ties strong. For the long-distance mother-in-law who you don’t get to see as often as you might like, there are many ways to let them know you love them.
- So grateful for all of the fun times we’ve shared over the years!
- We might be far away in distance, but you are always close at heart.
- Can’t wait to see you soon and spend some quality time together as a family.
- We miss you terribly when you are away, but we’re comforted to know that you are a constant in our lives even from afar.
- It won’t be a party until you arrive!
- Near or far, we’ll always love you wherever you are.
Messages for the grandmother of your children
Our mothers-in-law do so much for us, but they really step up the game when our families grow! Letting them know that you appreciate all that they do as grandmothers can be super simple and lovely.
- You teach me so much about being a mother.
- Thank you for always rescuing me when the kids are driving me crazy – I couldn’t do it without you.
- You are a wonderful mother, and you are an even more spectacular grandmother!
- I couldn’t have asked for a better granny for my children, you are truly the best.
- Thank you for the positive impact you’re having on my children’s lives!
Wedding anniversary wishes for mother-in-law
Is your mother-in-law about to celebrate another happy year of marriage? Whether she’s still with the father of your partner or has a new love in her life, these wedding anniversary wishes for your mother-in-law will only add extra loving vibes to her day:
- Happy anniversary to both of my in-laws! You’re an inspiration to me and I dream of having such a long and blissful married life like yours.
- Congratulations on your wedding anniversary, you’re such an adoring wife and deserve to be treated great in return.
- You really are an amazing lady having created such a wonderful family and life for yourself. Happy wedding anniversary!
- Happy anniversary to my beautiful in-laws! You’ve been so lovely to me and shown what a successful and happy marriage can look like in the future.
- On your anniversary I just wanted to say that I couldn’t wish for better in-laws and hope you both have a wonderful day and many more anniversaries to come!
Inspiring mother-in-law quotes
There’s so much to say when it comes to having a mother-in-law, but why use your own words when somebody else has probably said something similar. These are some inspiring mother-in-law quotes we think she’ll appreciate:
- “The mother-in-law is the centre of a family.” – Les Dawson
- “A mother-in-law’s praise says more in a woman’s favour than anything else in the world.” – Caroline Pafford Miller
- “Behind every successful person, stands a very successful mother-in-law.” – Lou Holtz
- “A man who treats his woman like a princess is proof that he has been raised by a queen.” – Taiwan Brown
- “Mother is a verb. It’s something you do. Not just who you are.” – Cheryl Lacey Donovan
Funny mother-in-law jokes
Sometimes viewed as being intimidated, many times you can develop a close and friendly bond with your mother-in-law. So, why not have a look at our funny mother-in-law jokes to make her smile:
- I’m not even joking but at this point, I might even prefer you to your son/daughter (but don’t tell them that)!
- Some people refer to their mother-in-law as being like the wicked witch of the west, boy does it sound like I dodged a bullet with you then!
- Honestly, you’re a great mother-in-law but how blessed are you to have me as your daughter/son-in-law.
- From the moment we first met and I spilled a drink out of nervousness, I knew things could only get better.
- When he/she’s being annoying, I know you’re always able to give the best advice on how to deal with it since you’re the master and have put up with them for longer than I have.
- This might be a bit weird to say but I really do appreciate your sense of humour because I know my love wouldn’t be nearly as silly without your influence.
Thank you messages for mother-in-law
There are countless reasons why you might want to thank your mother-in-law, but maybe you just can’t find the words yourself? It’s a good job we’ve got some thank you messages for your mother-in-law that you can use for some inspiration:
- Thank you for always being there, I know you have the title of mother-in-law, but you really are like a second mum to me.
- I just wanted to send a quick note to let you know just how much I appreciate having you in my life as my mother-in-law.
- You’ve always been so accepting and made me really feel like part of the family, I couldn’t be more grateful for a mother-in-law like you.
- Sending you a real heartfelt thanks to you for everything you’ve done from the bottom of my heart, it has never gone unnoticed.
- I really did strike gold gaining a mother-in-law like you, I only wish you knew just how thankful I am.
As you can see, we’ve truly covered everything from mother-in-law birthday wishes and jokes to quotes and Mother’s day messages. If this somehow wasn’t enough then you can find even more inspiration on how to tell your mother-in-law how much you care, you can check out our full range of mother-in-law cards. And if you’ve got another special occasion and need to tickle your creative neurons, we have loads of handy guides on what to write as well as a whole blog you can browse through.