Maternity leave is an incredibly special and personal time for both parents, one where they might need a lot of support and personal time to adjust to their new life. And nowhere will they need more support outside of their home than in the workplace. If you know a colleague is about to take maternity or paternity leave, then make sure you send best wishes in a maternity leave card to let them know you’re there for them.
Not only do maternity wishes show your colleague a friendly level of support, but they can put a smile on their face with the knowledge that they’re valued and cared for by their place of work! But what do you write in a maternity card if you’ve never written one before? How professional is too professional? Should you just keep your maternity wishes short?
Well, the good news is, it’s pretty easy to write maternity leave farewell messages to colleagues. You can keep it professional, letting them know that all their work will be covered, or lighten the mood of their leaving if you’re close work friends.
To help you get inspired about wishing your colleague a happy maternity leave, we’ve come up with a few suggestions that you could use in your maternity leave card.
Traditional maternity messages
If you don’t know your colleague very well on a personal level, then it might be tricky to know what to write in a maternity card – so we’ve pulled together some nice and simple maternity leave farewell messages to colleagues.
These traditional maternity leave card messages are sure to bring a smile to their face as they cradle their newborn:
- There is no greater joy than having a child, I hope you enjoy every minute of raising your new family.
- Congratulations on your soon-to-be new arrival, I’m overjoyed for your family.
- Don’t think about work for a moment while you’re away – take all that time to bond with baby!
- We’ll miss you while you’re gone, but you’re going to have so much fun with your new arrival!
- I know you’ll be a great parent; my best maternity leave wishes to you and your new family.
Funny messages for a maternity card
Naturally, if you and your colleague are good friends, there’s no reason you can’t inject a bit of humour into your maternity leave wishes with a funny maternity leave card:
- Congratulations on your new baby! Would you like some extra leave to catch up on sleep as well?
- You’re going to have so much fun with your new baby! Make the most of it, they don’t stay cute forever.
- You do know why it’s called maternity leave and not maternity vacation, right?
- I hope you have a happy maternity leave; we’ll be thinking about you when we look at your empty chair, particularly about how much sleep you’ll be losing.
- You know how you love a structured work routine? Yeah, you won’t be getting much of that for the next few months.
Traditional paternity leave card messages
Of course, it’s not just the mums who get maternity leave. If your colleague is a dad-to-be, then you can always get them a paternity leave card to help prepare them for their new family life:
- You’re going to make a brilliant father, remember to keep some dad jokes for when they’re older.
- Enjoy your new family time, all your work is in capable hands.
- Have fun raising your new child. We’ll make sure everything is ready for when you return.
- Welcome to the world of fatherhood, you’re going to be even better at it than your job.
- You’ve already taught the rest of us so much, so we know you’ll teach your baby all the essential life skills.
Funny paternity leave card messages
If you know your work friend appreciates a bit of good humour, then here are a few ideas for what to write in a funny paternity leave card for some tongue-in-cheek humour:
- You’re looking after the baby? Did you clear it with your wife?
- I’ve heard you’re going on paternity leave. I’m sorry to say the company doesn’t cover nappy changing and potty training, so you’re on your own when it comes to that.
- Congratulations on your new baby, this tiny human is now your responsibility, I only hope you can manage them better than you do your team.
- Enjoy your time off with your family. Try not to worry too much about the chaos that will inevitably descend in your absence.
- You’re having a baby? I thought you spent enough time already babysitting your team.
With all our suggestions, you should have plenty of ideas for what to write in a maternity card. But do you know what else goes well with a thortful card? A thortful gift to help celebrate their return. Flowers, candles, chocolate – we’ve got everything you need to send the prospective parents off in style!
We’ve also got hundreds of other cards for all occasions right here on the thortful website made by hundreds of unique designers. Find the card that’s right for you today.