If your mind goes blank when trying to decide what to write in a leaving card, you’re not the only one! Leaving card messages can often feel generic or clichéd when you’re actually trying to be sincere and wish someone well for the future. Or perhaps you don’t really know the person leaving and you’re just looking for something to lighten the mood! To help you strike the tone you’re aiming for, we’ve pulled together some ideas for funny, witty, simple and caring leaving wishes that might just help you to say farewell in the way you want to.
Why it’s important to say goodbye
Changing jobs is part of life whether it’s taking the leap and chasing after your dream career or simply finding better opportunities elsewhere. When someone is leaving, it’s important to say goodbye as it lets them know just how much of an impact they’ve had in their role, especially since working likely takes up the majority of their days. It’s also just a nice gesture to congratulate them. You could even be extra generous and add a little gift to go along with your message.
Most of the time, the longer you’ve been working with them the longer or personal the message should be, just always keep in the back of your mind that your boss might end up reading your message.
Funny leaving messages for colleagues
Is your work bestie or a close colleague going on to new things? Make sure they leave on a joyous note and write out a funny leaving message for the colleague that is bound to uplift their mood and ensure their final day is a happy one:
- Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone it was you.
- Congratulations. You escaped.
- As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction!
- Run, Simba. And never return!
- This is not goodbye! I’ve got cameras rigged up in your house.
- How you didn’t get sacked before now is beyond me!
- Don’t leave! I can’t cope with these idiots on my own.
- I’m really going to miss ignoring your emails!
- Therapy for my abandonment issues is expensive. You can pay me in instalments if you like.
Playful leaving card messages
Another round of message ideas that might be worth considering if you’ve got a solid relationship with the person leaving are our playful leaving card messages. Just take a peek for yourself:
- This is a leaving card with a future and a past… but no present.
- Over the years we’ve known each other, I’ve come to regard you as someone I have met.
- I’ve no idea who you are, but didn’t want to look bad when they passed this leaving card round.
- News of your departure has rocked the company’s procrastination department.
- The coffee machine won’t be the same without you.
- Happy birthday / wedding / new baby / future career – delete as appropriate
- Can I have your stapler?
- In future, just be yourself. Only less so.
- Finally we can be together, without worrying what people think.
- I thought you left ages ago?
Witty leaving card messages
Does the person leaving have a similar sense of humour to you? If you think of yourself as being a mix between intelligent and funny, you might want to have a look at our witty leaving card messages:
- As I look back on our time together, I can honestly describe you as one of the people I happened to work with.
- We’ll all get replaced by machines eventually. I’ve heard the broken photocopier is having your desk.
- Looking forward to your leaving party, which starts as soon as we’ve seen the back of you.
- Good luck at your new job! I’m guessing there was only one candidate for the position?
- It won’t be the same here without you. It’ll be much, much nicer.
- Are you still here? Thought you were leaving.
- Hard times always flush out the weak! Shame you weren’t up for the fight.
- Off to pastures new eh? Well, there’s dirt in every field.
- I hope that rash clears up soon.
- The village called to say they’re excited to be getting their idiot back!
Simple and professional farewell wishes
Of course, you can’t be super friendly with everyone you work with so if it’s someone you’ve not spoken with on too many occasions that’s leaving then one of these simple and professional farewell wishes will do the trick:
- It will be rubbish here without you!
- I’ll miss you!
- Wishing you all the best with everything.
- Good luck in your next chapter.
- Thank you for everything and good luck!
- Keep in touch!
- So sorry you’re leaving – you will be missed.
- Wherever you’re going, they’re lucky to have you!
- Sorry to be saying goodbye!
- I hope our paths cross again soon.
Leaving job quotes
If you’re not quite sure what to write in a leaving card for someone, then a leaving job quote might be what you’re after as it’s a quick win but is equally meaningful:
- “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.” – Garrison Keillor
- “There are far better things ahead than we ever leave behind.” – C.S. Lewis
- “If you can dream it, you can do it.” – Walt Disney
- “It is so hard to leave-until you leave. And then it is the easiest thing in the world.” – John Green
- “The only way to do great work is to love what you do. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.” – Steve Jobs
Caring leaving card messages
Maybe you’re genuinely full of emotion thinking about them leaving? Put all your feelings down into a card or if you’re struggling here are a few caring leaving card messages we’ve come up with for inspiration:
- You’ve been a wonderful presence in all of our lives, and we wish you all the best.
- It’s tough to say farewell to someone as loved as you are, but we’ll always have happy memories to savour!
- Thank you for everything you’ve done, and good luck in your new venture.
- I feel lucky to have known you these last few years and wish you every success in the future.
- Wishing you the best of luck in your new chapter, not that you’ll need it! You’re going to be a huge success, as always.
- This place will be poorer for losing you, but our loss is someone else’s gain!
- People like you are hard to find, difficult to part with, and impossible to forget.
- Thank you for all you have done, and good luck with all that you do in future.
- I’m sad to see you go, but let’s celebrate the fact we had this time together!
- You’ll always have a place here should you ever wish to return!
Leaving messages for colleagues going travelling
Sometimes people don’t leave a job to go straight into a new one but take some time out to go travelling around the world instead. Wish them well and say goodbye with these leaving messages for colleagues going travelling:
- Have a safe journey and make sure to take advantage of all the adventures to come.
- Bon Voyage and don’t forget all about us boring people when you’re travelling the world.
- Sending all the best wishes and hope you arrive safe and sound, I’m so jealous and you’re going to have a great time creating lots of new and exciting memories.
- May you have no delays on your journeys and it’s all as smooth as possible.
- Stay safe and immerse yourself in everything possible.
- Farewell and I can’t wait to see what you get up to on your travels!
- Take all the pictures and live in every moment, we’re all going to miss you but know you’ll have such a great time.
- It’s been a pleasure having you on the team and we’re so excited for your trip!
- Can’t wait to see what you get up to on your travels, don’t forget to bring us back a souvenir.
- We’re all going to be so jealous of your travels and know you’ll have the most amazing time.
Sorry you’re leaving messages for your boss
At work, your boss plays a huge role in your career although at some point they may end up leaving for a new job, to work in a different department, or change career paths. It’s only right to send your best wishes and these ‘sorry you’re leaving’ messages do just that:
- Good luck with the future boss, you’re going to be greatly missed.
- You’ve played such a pivotal role in my career and I can’t tell you how much help it’s been to me. Best of luck with your next role.
- You’ve really been the best boss I’ve ever had and please do stay in touch!
- Thank you so much for always believing in me, I’ve learnt so much from you and can’t wait to see what else you do in the future.
- I’m so grateful to have been able to have such a wonderful and inspiring mentor like you.
- Before you go, I just wanted to send a little note your way to let you know how great of a boss you’ve been. Congratulations and thank you for everything!
- It’s definitely going to be strange not having you as my manager anymore, but you’ve done so much for me.
- I’m so happy that I got to have you as my boss and develop a genuine friendship along the way. Good luck with your new team!
- Thank you for bringing out the best in me and making me challenge myself.
- Hope you settle into your new role well and continue being the wonderful leader that I’ve had the joy of working with.
- Saying goodbye can be tricky, but it’s always worthwhile. With so many ideas of things to write in a leaving card depending on what works for your particular situation, hopefully, you’ll no longer be stuck for what to say with our bunch of leaving card messages!
And if they’re just completely finished with working and retiring then we’ve actually got a whole other blog on what to write in a retirement card. For more inspiration on what to write in cards, head on over to our blog. And make sure you pick up a leaving card from thortful to write your message in before their last day!