Christmas is a time to tell people how you feel, and let them know just how much they mean to you with a thoughtful Christmas card. If you’re struggling for inspiration, we’ve got your back – we’ve put together some ideas of what to write in a Christmas card.
Find just the right words to write in your Christmas cards, with these simple, funny and even rude Christmas wishes for family and friends. And, if you want to spoil the recipient you’re sending it to, select one of our sterling Christmas gifts to send alongside your card. Christmas is about giving, and you’ll be doing exactly that!
Image source: Pexels
Funny Christmas card messages
Whether you’re writing Christmas card messages for friends, coworkers, or loved ones, everyone appreciates a laugh at Christmas. That’s why our punny and funny Christmas cards are so popular – because they make your mates really chuckle and your card will certainly stand out on the mantlepiece!
So, here are some fabulous and funny Christmas wishes to include in a card:
- ‘Tis the season to not need a reason for another drink.
- Congratulations on making our Christmas card list
- Merry Christmas to the one family member I’m least ashamed to be related to.
- All I want for Christmas is the warmth and joy of this beautiful festive season… nah, only joking. Give me gin.
- Merry Christmas to the reason Santa has a naughty list
- May you be filled with the festive spirit – or alcoholic beverage of your choice
- I hope you love the Christmas present you told me to buy for you
- Wishing you untangled Christmas lights and a Sellotape roll that you can always find the end of.
They’re all pretty great, right? Now it’s time to choose your favourite and scroll it down in your card.
Christmas wishes for neighbours
As well as your friends and family, you’ll want to send some happy Christmas card greetings to your beloved neighbours. After all, they put up with your loud stomping around each day before work and probably even offer up their parking space to your visitors when they rock up to your house.
One of our classic Christmas cards will be perfect to pop through your neighbour’s letterbox. And if you want some nice things to write in a Christmas card to your neighbours, we have quite the selection for you to pen down:
- Merry Christmas from over the fence! Hope you and the family have a yuletide!
- You guys bring the Christmas cheer every year, so we thought we’d return the favour! Merry Christmas.
- You make this neighbourhood pretty merry and bright, Happy Christmas!
- Merry Christmas to the people who bought us a pint of milk when we first moved in! Your kindness was never forgotten 🙂
- To the best neighbours down the street, Merry Christmas. P.s. Don’t tell the others…!
- Warm Christmas greetings to the best kids on the block.
- Merry Christmas guys, we promise our kids won’t kick their football over the fence this year!
- Christmas feels so much more special in this neighbourhood. Thanks for making every day feel magical. Merry Christmas!
What else would brighten their days in the lead up to Christmas? A little present to show how thankful you are to have them as neighbours. Take a look at our selection of flower gifts to send to their door. Christmas is all about giving back, after all!
Playful and rude Christmas messages
If you’re writing to someone who can definitely take a joke, risk one of these rude Christmas messages to give them a laugh, and give the holiday season a bit more of an edge.
- I guess you thought the naughty list was worth it this year.
- Santa’s seen your Instagram, so you’re definitely getting coal for Christmas.
- You’re too hard to buy presents for. So just enjoy this carefully chosen Christmas card and the privilege of having me in your life
- A tree died so you could have this Christmas card – I hope you’re happy.
- Ho, ho, ho! But enough about you – Happy Christmas!
- I’m dreaming of a white Christmas… but when it runs out, I’m sure you’ll drink the red.
- Happy Christmas – remember, deck the halls, not your family.
- Merry Christmas! Now I don’t have to have anything to do with you for another year.
Browse through our extensive range of rude Christmas cards to send your favourites a real giggle in the post this Christmas. Funnily enough, when they unseal the envelope, they’ll know that you bought them it – no question!
Image source: Unsplash
Simple Christmas card messages
Sometimes it’s best to keep it simple at Xmas. So, if you’re just looking for simple and sincere Christmas card messages for friends or family, here are some nice things to write in a Christmas card that says everything (without saying too much):
- Peace and joy to you and yours this Christmas.
- Merry Christmas – wishing you lots of love and a wonderful new year.
- May your Christmas be filled with warmth and cheer.
- Wishing you a Christmas that’s merry and bright and filled with delight.
- Merry Christmas with lots of love, and best wishes for the new year to come.
- I hope your Christmas is full of laughter, joy and good times.
- Wishing you the very best at Christmas, and all through the year.
- I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, I can’t wait to see you soon and celebrate.
If you’re unsure which style of card to go for to write your simple Christmas card messages in, just browse through our contemporary Christmas cards and pick the best one for your lucky recipient.
Christmas card messages for family
Christmas is a time to show your loved ones just how much they mean to you, and you can get really creative with card designs and Christmas card greetings.
Here are some touching Christmas card messages for family, that will make them smile when they open your card:
- Having such great parents is the best Christmas gift I could wish for. Thanks for everything, and merry Christmas.
- You mean the world to me. I’m so grateful for all that you do and for all the happy memories we share.
- Sending love and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.
- Christmas is a time for family, and I’m so happy that I get to spend this special time of year with you.
- Wishing you and the whole family a happy Christmas full of joy, and a very happy New Year.
- At Christmas, I just want to take the time to say I’m so thankful to have you as part of my family.
- Thinking of you, with lots of love this Christmas.
- I’m so glad that we’re family, and I’m thankful for all the happy Christmas memories we have together over the years.
You can send cheery cards for each member of your family thanks to our broad range of family inspired cards. Whether it’s for your mum, your dad, your brother, your sister or your grandma and grandad, we’ve got something for everyone. Just take a look at our different designs and pick the best one for each person!
Christmas message for your wife or husband
Struggling to find the perfect Christmas message for your wife’s card, or the right words to write in a card to your husband? We’ve got you covered. And if you’re looking for a romantic Christmas card, you can find our entire range here.
Here are some great Christmas card messages for your other half:
- It might be cliché, but it’s still always true. All I want for Christmas is you.
- Forget about the mistletoe – kiss me anytime you want.
- Hugs, kisses, and warm winter wishes on our very first Christmas as Mr and Mrs.
- Here’s to a magical Christmas together.
- The best part of Christmas is spending time together with you.
- Because it’s Christmas, and at Christmas you tell the truth – to me, you are perfect.
- Happy Christmas to my wonderful husband/wife – you’re the best part of my life, and I am so grateful I get to spend it with you.
- Every morning I wake up next to you is like Christmas morning. I love you so much – Happy Christmas.
Image source: Unsplash
Religious Christmas card messages
For religious families, you want to show your respect for Christmas time and how much it means to them. We have quite the range of traditional Christmas cards for you to send, so check out our selection here.
These are some thoughtful religious Christmas card messages to share the best wishes for the season:
- Wishing you and your family blessings this Christmas, and in the coming year.
- May the spirit of Christmas be with you all year round.
- May God bless your life with love and joy this Christmas.
- Wishing you a Christmas that’s merry and bright with the light of God’s love.
- Wishing you a season of blessings from heaven above.
- Wishing you peace, love and blessings this Christmas and New Year.
- A silent night, a star above, a blessed gift of hope and love. Wishing a Merry Christmas for you and your family.
- May the joy and peace of Christmas be with you through all the New Year.
Don’t struggle staring at a blank card, pen in hand – pick one of our suggested Christmas card messages or use them as inspiration for your own Christmas wishes.
Don’t forget to check out our full range of Christmas cards, from funny to sweet. For more inspiration on what to write in your greetings cards, head on over to our blog to discover handy articles on how to make your own Christmas decorations and the top christmas cocktails to make at home.
Header image credit: Pexels