It’s the big 5-0 – hitting half a century is a big achievement, so when someone special in your life turns 50, make sure you say it right. Not sure how to say it other than a very basic ‘Happy 50th birthday’? Yeah, that’s not gonna cut it. Instead, pick up one of our brilliant 50th birthday cards and choose one of these thoughtful 50th birthday wishes – from rude and funny options to heartfelt messages, and even some 50th birthday quotes to make you look, like, super deep.
Also struggling to think of some gifts for your favourite 50-year old? We can help with that too. Check out our brilliant gifting options, from gin to chocolates or flowers.
Funny 50th birthday wishes
If they’ll appreciate a good chuckle at any age, try some of these sweet and funny 50th birthday wishes – and why not write your message on a very appropriate funny 50th birthday card?
- 50 years old? Just keep telling yourself you’re not old… just retro.
- You’re not 50 – you’re 18, with 32 years experience.
- 50! Not great, but better than 60!
- 50 today? Seems like only yesterday you were 49.
- Your forties have now expired.
- You’re not old – you just need a little WD40.
- Let’s celebrate the 29th anniversary of your 21st birthday.
- Looks 22, feels 17, acts 10 – guess you must be 50
Rude 50th birthday jokes
If they’re really up for a laugh – and you’re really, really sure they won’t be offended – then these rude 50th birthday messages will give them a serious laugh. As long as they’re cool about ‘you’re old’ jokes. For more inspiration, we have a full range of rude 50th birthday cards – send at your own peril.
- Happy 50th birthday! In dog years, that means you’re very, very, very, very, very old.
- 50? I’d keep that sh*t quiet if I were you.
- 50? Wow, you don’t look a day over 60!
- Try not to think of it as turning 50. Just think of it as getting really old.
- Congratulations, you are now officially old enough for a midlife crisis!
- Bad news – you’re 50. Good news – I’m not!
- One minute you’re young and cool… and the next you’re 50.
- You know what rhymes with 50? Gin.
Heartfelt 50th birthday messages
Sometimes you don’t want to make a joke or crack wise at their expense. Wondering what to write in a 50th birthday card when you want to really let them know how much you care? Keep it sweet and sincere with these heartfelt 50th birthday messages, perfect for a treasured member of your family or friend who’s turning half-a-century old.
- We’re so lucky to have had half a century of wonderful, lovely, brilliant you.
- Happy 50th birthday! Every day with you is a delight, and I can’t wait for many, many more.
- Happy birthday – here’s to 50 brilliant years, and 50 more yet to come.
- I can’t believe you’re 50 years old today! Wishing you the happiest of birthdays.
- 50 years old, but 50 years young at heart. Many happy returns!
- Wishing you all of life’s finest things at 50 – you’ve got the wisdom to appreciate them and the grace to make it look good.
- You’ve spent your 50 years creating a wonderful life full of experiences and a beautiful family to share them with – congratulations and happy birthday!
- I hope your 50th year is your favourite so far! Can’t wait to make more amazing memories with you. Happy birthday!
50th birthday wishes for her
Women of ‘a certain age’ might feel a bit self-conscious about turning 50 – reassure her that she looks just as fabulous now as she ever did with these sincere and thoughtful 50th birthday wishes for her. And if you’re looking for 50th birthday cards for her… then you’ve successfully navigated to the correct corner of the internet.
- You’re 50 today? There must be some sort of mistake, because you don’t look a day over fabulous
- You are aging like a fine wine – speaking of which, crack a bottle open, it’s your birthday!
- 50 and fabulous – keep on sparkling!
- 50 today, and just as gorgeous on the outside as you are on the inside.
- 50 looks good on you! Wishing you a very happy birthday on this special day.
- Happy 50th birthday! Hope it’s as wild as your hormones are about to be!
- Foxy, funky, and a fabulous 50 years young.
- Happy birthday to a true mid-century classic
50th birthday quotes
Want something a little bit more timeless, perhaps something a bit more classic? Then look no further than these sweet 50th birthday quotes that they’re sure to love. And you get to feel really smart and smug. Clever you.
- “You don’t get older, you get better.” – Shirley Bassey
- “If you haven’t grown up by age 50, you don’t have to.” – Anonymous
- “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” – Dixie Willson
- “By the time we hit 50, we have learned our hardest lessons. We have found out that only a few things are really important. We have learned to take life seriously, but never ourselves.” – Marie Dressler
- “The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected.” – Robert Frost
- “You take all the experience and judgment of men over fifty out of the world and there wouldn’t be enough left to run it.” – Henry Ford
- “I’m aiming by the time I’m fifty to stop being an adolescent.” -Wendy Cope
- “Forty is the old age of youth; fifty the youth of old age.” – Victor Hugo
Armed with your classic 50th birthday card and some of these thoughtful 50th birthday wishes, you’re all ready to celebrate. But if you need some more ideas, check out some helpful ideas – we’ve got guides on the best gifts for her and best gifts for him – or last minute gift ideas for those ‘oops, I forgot!’ moments. For more inspiration, gift guides, what to write suggestions and DIY tips, head to the thortful blog!