It’s the big 5-0! Hitting half a century is a big achievement, so when someone special in your life turns 50, make sure you say it right. Sticking to the very basic ‘Happy 50th birthday’, just isn’t going to cut it. Instead, why not pick up one of our brilliant 50th birthday cards and choose one of these thoughtful 50th birthday wishes. From rude and funny options to heartfelt messages, we’ve even included some 50th birthday quotes to make you look, like, super deep.
Struggling to think of some gifts for your favourite 50-year-old? We can help with that too. Check out our brilliant gifting options including plenty of gins, chocolates, and flowers to get the party started.
Funny 50th birthday wishes
If they’ll appreciate a good chuckle at any age, try some of these sweet and funny 50th birthday wishes – and why not write your message on a very appropriate funny 50th birthday card?
- 50 years old? Just keep telling yourself you’re not old… just retro.
- You’re not 50 – you’re 18, with 32 years of experience.
- 50! Not great, but better than 60!
- Your forties have now expired.
- You’re not old – you just need a little WD40.
- Let’s celebrate the 29th anniversary of your 21st birthday.
- 50 today? Seems like only yesterday you were 49.
- Looks 22, feels 17, acts 10 – guess you must be 50!
Rude 50th birthday jokes
If they’re really up for a laugh – and you’re really, really sure they won’t be offended – then these rude 50th birthday messages will give them a serious laugh. As long as they’re cool about ‘you’re old’ jokes otherwise you’re sending this message at your own peril!
- Happy 50th birthday! In dog years, that means you’re very, very, very, very, very old.
- 50? I’d keep that sh*t quiet if I were you.
- Try not to think of it as turning 50. Just think of it as getting really old.
- Congratulations, you are now officially old enough for a midlife crisis!
- Bad news – you’re 50. Good news – I’m not!
- 50? Wow, you don’t look a day over 60!
- One minute you’re young and cool… and the next, you’re 50.
- You know what rhymes with 50? Gin.
Heartfelt 50th birthday messages
Sometimes you don’t want to make a joke or crack wise at their expense. Wondering what to write in a 50th birthday card when you want to really let them know how much you care?
Keep it sweet and sincere with these heartfelt 50th birthday messages, perfect for a treasured member of your family or friend who’s turning half-a-century old.
- We’re so lucky to have had half a century of wonderful, lovely, brilliant you.
- Happy 50th birthday! Every day with you is a delight, and I can’t wait for many, many more.
- Happy birthday – here’s to 50 brilliant years, and 50 more yet to come.
- I can’t believe you’re 50 years old today! Wishing you the happiest of birthdays.
- 50 years old, but 50 years young at heart. Many happy returns!
- Wishing you all of life’s finest things at 50 – you’ve got the wisdom to appreciate them and the grace to make it look good.
- You’ve spent your 50 years creating a wonderful life full of experiences and a beautiful family to share them with – congratulations and happy birthday!
- I hope your 50th year is your favourite so far! Can’t wait to make more amazing memories with you. Happy birthday!
50th birthday messages for her
Women of ‘a certain age’ might feel a bit self-conscious about turning 50 – reassure her that she looks just as fabulous now as she ever did with these sincere and thoughtful 50th birthday messages for her. And if you’re looking for 50th birthday cards for her… then you’ve successfully navigated to the correct corner of the internet.
- You’re 50 today? There must be some sort of mistake because you don’t look a day over gorgeous.
- You are ageing like a fine wine – speaking of which, crack a bottle open, it’s your birthday!
- 50 and fabulous – keep on sparkling!
- 50 today, and just as gorgeous on the outside as you are on the inside.
- 50 looks good on you! Wishing you a very happy birthday on this special day.
- Happy 50th birthday! Hope it’s as wild as your hormones are about to be!
- Foxy, funky, and a fabulous 50 years young.
- Happy 50th birthday to a true mid-century classic.
Lovely 50th birthday messages for wife
Is your dearly beloved refusing to admit that she’ll soon be in her fifties? Help her transition and come to terms with the change of age with these lovely 50th birthday messages for your wife.
- Even at 50 you’ve still got the spirit (and looks) of a 21-year-old.
- Wow, this means the Earth has had half a century of your wonderfulness, and here’s to many more!
- Happy 50th birthday to the most beautiful in the world!
- I keep having to remind myself that you’re going to be turning 50 this time, how did I ever get so lucky?
- Sending you all the love in the world on your special milestone birthday, happy 50th darling.
- There’s no reason to worry about getting older because we always said we’d become old and grey together.
- I’m so happy to be able to have seen you grow into the most wonderful person, and I can’t wait to celebrate your next big birthday at 60.
Fabulous 50th birthday wishes for mum
Whether you’re still young or fully grown, mums are always there whenever you need them and therefore, she deserves to be treated like a queen on her special day. If your mum is about to reach 50, you simply have to mark the occasion by writing out one of our fabulous 50th birthday wishes for mum inside a sweet card and wait for her reaction. Trust us when we say it’ll be more than worth it.
- My biggest cheerleader and forever best friend, happy 50th mum.
- Can’t wait to spoil you as you’ve always done for me. Happy 50th birthday!
- Wishing you the absolute best as you enter your fifties and know you’ll make it a decade to remember.
- Would you look at that? You’re about to hit the big 5-0 and I’m sure you’ll do it in the most fashionable way possible, as always.
- Haven’t you heard? 50 is the new 21 – happy birthday mum!
- Happy 50th supermum, I wouldn’t trade you for the world and will always appreciate your wise words and love.
50th birthday wishes for sister
Maybe you’ve got an older or younger sister about to hit this milestone birthday? Well, we’re here to help you say happy birthday in true sibling fashion with our 50th birthday wishes for your sister.
- As children, we may not have always seen eye to eye and somehow this has remained the same even though you’re about to be a whole 50 years old!
- Well well well, look who might actually finally decide to grow up now they’re turning 50, happy birthday sis!
- Woah, a whole 50 years old today?! Glad I’ve got a few years left before I have to go through that.
- Sending all the best wishes to my dearest sister on her 50th birthday! Where has the time gone? I swear we were both sneaking out of the house just yesterday.
- I couldn’t have asked for a better sister to grow up alongside, happy 50th birthday and can’t wait to celebrate together!
- It’s not your 50th birthday, just your 30th time celebrating turning 20.
- As the slightly older sibling I’m so thrilled to welcome to the fifties club and poke fun at you like you did me.
50th birthday messages for him
Do you know a man about to hit the youth of old age? Let him know how gracefully he’s grown and remind him he gets to look forward to becoming more ‘mature’ with these 50th birthday messages for him. And don’t forget to match it with a 50th birthday card for him as well!
- Congratulations on turning 50! Just like whiskey, you keep getting better with age.
- Happy 50th! Now it’s time to put all that accumulated wisdom you can still remember to good use.
- You might have turned 50, but that’s no excuse for not partying like you’ve just turned 21!
- Happy 50th birthday! Think you can manage to blow out all 50 candles on your cake?
- 50 years old… your age may have changed, but your maturity definitely hasn’t. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. Happy birthday!
- Congratulations on hitting the big 5-0! Your hair and beard might be going grey, but a salt and pepper style is just the first step towards becoming a silver fox.
- Remember, you’re not old at 50, you’ve just become distinguished.
- Happy birthday! You’re now more than old enough to be considered a classic.
50th birthday wishes for husband
If your hubby is clinging to his forties and needs a little reminder that he’ll still be a silver fox at 50, then take a look at our 50th birthday wishes for your husband. Just don’t let it all go to his head and inflate his ego is all we’d say.
- Happy 50th birthday, does this officially make you my sugar daddy now?
- Don’t worry, you’ll still be just as devilishly handsome at 50 only with a little more of a salt-and-pepper look. Happy birthday husband!
- I love you just as much at 50 as I did when you were [insert relevant age], happy birthday hubby!
- Wishing my other half the happiest 50th birthday, I’m so glad we found each other.
- Cheers to the fittest 50-year-old man I know, love you lots and happy birthday!
- Look at you, there’s no way you’d think you’re fifty thanks to your full head of hair. Happy birthday sweetie!
50th birthday sayings for dad
Now we know there’s simply no way you’re going to let your dad’s 50th birthday go by without sending either one of our 50th birthday sayings for dad letting him know how he’s the best man you’ve ever known or just making fun of his stereotypical dad habits.
- Dad, today is the start of the rest of your officially ‘old man’ life, happy 50th birthday!
- On your 50th birthday it’s only right to let you know that you’ve always been my biggest inspiration and I know I can always count on you.
- Happy 50th Dad, have fun but keep an eye on that potential beer belly of yours!
- Having lived a whole 50 years now it’s really no surprise that you’re so wise.
- I hope to bring a smile to your face on your 50th birthday like you’ve always done for me.
- Today is all about you Dad so put on sit back and relax while we all come to your beck and call. Happy 50th!
50th birthday wishes for brother
It doesn’t matter if he’s the older or younger sibling, seeing your brother turn 50 years old is a big moment. Make it one to remember and ensure he feels cherished by taking the time to add one of our 50th birthday wishes for your brother to your card.
- Happy 50th, I know we don’t talk about mushy stuff often, but I’m honestly beyond blessed to have such a wonderful brother.
- We’ve gone through a hell of a lot over the years but I’m so happy we’ve stayed so close. Hope you have a fantastic 50th!
- Wishing you a happy birthday, brother! Glad you get to experience the woes of turning 50 before me.
- Here’s to your golden birthday bro, the day has finally arrived, and I hope you have a good one celebrating!
- Boy, fifty years is a long time to be alive, but you’ve always been the type to live life to the fullest. Happy birthday!
50th birthday quotes
Want something a little more timeless, or perhaps something a bit more classic? Then look no further than these sweet 50th birthday quotes that they’re sure to love. And you get to feel really smart and smug. Clever you.
- “You don’t get older, you get better.” – Shirley Bassey
- “If you haven’t grown up by age 50, you don’t have to.” – Anonymous
- “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” – Dixie Willson
- “By the time we hit 50, we have learned our hardest lessons. We have found out that only a few things are really important. We have learned to take life seriously, but never ourselves.” – Marie Dressler
- “The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected.” – Robert Frost
- “You take all the experience and judgment of men over fifty out of the world and there wouldn’t be enough left to run it.” – Henry Ford
- “I’m aiming by the time I’m fifty to stop being an adolescent.” -Wendy Cope
- “Forty is the old age of youth; fifty the youth of old age.” – Victor Hugo
So, now that you’re armed with an appropriate 50th birthday card and some of these thoughtful 50th birthday wishes or other ideas on what to write in a 50th birthday card, you’re all ready to celebrate your loved one’s milestone birthday! But if you need some other birthday ideas, be sure to check out some of our helpful guides such as last-minute gift ideas for those ‘oops, I forgot!’ moments, as well as many other what-to-write suggestions, over on the thortful blog!