Birthdays are a cause for celebration. When we’re spending hours a day with our colleagues, it’s worth sending them a little card on their special day. Whatever sort of working relationship you have, if you’re not sure how to say happy birthday then we’re here to help.
From how to wish happy birthday to an office bestie, co-workers you’re not super close to or even your boss, we’ve come up with all sorts of birthday message ideas suitable to send to those you work with.
Simple happy birthday messages for colleagues
When you’re not sure exactly what to say and prefer to keep your birthday wishes on the more professional side, it might be best to keep things short and sweet. If you’re struggling with finding the right words yourself, these simple birthday messages for colleagues are a solid go-to:
- Wishing you the happiest of birthdays, you’re a great member of the team.
- You make work so much more fun, happy birthday!
- Happy birthday, hope you have fun celebrating after work.
- Enjoy your birthday day off from work, hope it’s filled with joy!
- Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating your birthday, you work so hard and truly deserve it.
- I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and hope you have a great day off from work complete with lots of presents.
- We’ve been working together for a while now and it’s been lovely. Happy birthday and can’t wait to see what the future holds.
- Sending birthday wishes your way, work buddy.
Funny birthday messages for colleagues
Want a light-hearted birthday message that will add more joy to someone’s birthday? These funny birthday messages for colleagues will be sure to stand out from the rest and leave them smiling. Why stop there when you can write your message inside one of our equally hilarious birthday cards that will have them giggling before they even get a chance to open it.
- There’s no one I’d rather call my work wife/husband! Happy birthday and thanks for always making the office a happier place.
- Happy birthday to the person who’s always in the office kitchen making coffee with me.
- I just can’t wait for everyone to bring out the cake that we’ll all be eating on our lunch break. Oh, and happy birthday to you too!
- Sending all the birthday wishes to the only co-worker who will put up with all of my shenanigans.
- Happy birthday, one year closer to retirement age with only a few decades left to go!
- Wishing you a happy birthday! You better save me a nice slice of birthday cake after all I’ve done for you at work.
- Not sure I could genuinely make it through the workdays without you, thanks for keeping me sane in the office and happy birthday!
- Today is your special day so even though you’re working make sure to take full advantage (you could probably get away with anything today… just saying). Happy birthday!
- From the moment we first started working together, I knew we’d become great friends. Sending all the birthday wishes your way and hope you get spoiled.
- Have fun celebrating your birthday although maybe try not get too drunk later as we’re still working tomorrow.
Thoughtful birthday messages for boss
There’s nothing wrong with buttering up your boss a little bit, especially when it’s their most special day of the year. These thoughtful birthday messages for your boss will no doubt mean a lot to them:
- Happy birthday, I truly can’t explain how great of a mentor and boss you are to me!
- Sending birthday wishes from your whole team, don’t forget to relax as it’s your special day.
- Happy Birthday! I’m so pleased that I’ve got a boss as good as you.
- It’s your birthday and that’s certainly a cause for celebration, thanks for always being such an understanding and helpful boss.
- Thank you for being an amazing boss and happy birthday, you’re so valued by the rest of the team.
- You’re such a valued manager and take on so much. Happy birthday and hope the next year brings everything you want.
- It’s your birthday, boss! I know you’ll have a great time celebrating and thanks for everything.
Cheeky birthday wishes for manager
If you dare (and are sure it won’t put your job on the line), be a bit risky with one of our cheeky birthday wishes for your manager. Ideal for the super-friendly and relatable bosses out there, you can even top it off with a cheeky birthday card from thortful.
- Happy Birthday! Since it’s your birthday I was thinking that we could finish a little bit early… what do you think?
- Wishing you a happy birthday, next round on you?
- Promise I’m not saying this just because I have to but you could fire me at any moment, but you really are the best manager and I hope you have a wonderful
- Happy birthday boss from your absolute favourite employee ever… me, of course!
- I’d send you a lovely birthday gift to go with this card but unfortunately, I don’t get paid well enough for that, oops.
- I better not see you online or sending emails on your birthday, we’ll manage just fine without you for one working day.
- We don’t share your stereotypical boss-employee relationship and for that, I’m extremely grateful. Happy birthday and can’t wait to celebrate when I next see you!
Hopefully, we’ve helped you figure out what you might want to say whether you want to make it professional, thoughtful or take the funny route. All that remains now is to pick up a lovely birthday card for it to go in. And if you found this even remotely helpful then you need to check out the rest of our what to write articles on the thortful blog.